Regional Programme Officer
International Union for Conservation of Nature, Pretoria, South Africa
Closing Date for Applications:
Lead the implementation and development of the IUCN GL programme in Eastern and Southern Africa
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic planning and programme development;
- Lead the development of a strategy for the IUCN Green List (GL) in Eastern and Southern Africa, linked to relevant regional and global strategies
- Lead the development of a GL programme of work in other countries in Eastern and Southern Africa as required, based on agreed project commitments and donor requirements
- Promote the IUCN Green List programme to government and civil society stakeholders in countries across Eastern and Southern Africa
- Actively identify opportunities and support project fundraising efforts for GL in the Eastern and Southern Africa region.
Programme management and implementation;
- Support ongoing project-specific activities in Kenya, Namibia and Zambia in line with the Green List collaboration for the Post 2020 United Nations Biodiversity Framework, and (ii) Protected Area Solutions. Undertake regular duty travel as necessary to ensure smooth implementation of programmatic activities;
- Ensure effective training and orientation workshops (virtual and in-person, as circumstances allow), including administrative and logistical support to project implementation including the organization of workshops, meetings and consultations;
- Facilitate establishment of GL processes in partner countries
- Provide guidance on site-level assessments and engagement
- Track specific project commitments and ensure the collection, collation, and reporting of all project data and documents, and be responsible for the submission of technical progress reports, as well as all weekly and monthly reports according to the agreed formats and deadlines;
- Track broader IUCN Green List commitments and progress in Eastern and Southern Africa, and provide updates on progress to the IUCN GL Operations Team and Management Committee as required
- Ensure that project budgets are utilized and monitored in accordance with IUCN ESARO internal controls and donor agreements;
- Manage COMPASS (salesforce.com data management system) access and user needs for experts and evaluators
- In line with relevant communications strategies, help to communicate project results through the IUCN website, articles, news stories, publications, etc.
- Provide inputs to other IUCN team activities, such as the work under the BIOPAMA programme, and other relevant projects and programmes as required
Monitoring and evaluation;
- Ensure effective implementation of relevant M&E frameworks and systems, in line IUCN guidelines and procedures, as well as those required by specific projects
- Ensure that all the information related to the implementation of GL projects is adequately filed, organized and updated for easy access;
- Identify and use lessons to inform practice;
- Document and share lessons and experiences, as appropriate.
- Good academic profile (Degree in a relevant subject; MSc level preferred, but not essential provided the candidate has strong relevant skills and experience)
- 8+ yrs conservation-related work, or 5+ years in conservation with other relevant related experience
- Direct experience working in protected / conserved areas or a related field (social engagement and participatory management processes would be a bonus).
- At least five years in management and administration of projects in the field of biodiversity conservation, natural resources or environmental management, including management of donor grants and donor relations, technical and financial reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
- Previous experience working with a wide range of conservation practitioners from field to senior government manager levels;
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and communicate in a cross-cultural environment;
- Experience in capacity building activities related to biodiversity conservation.
- Strategic planning and programme development experience
- Fundraising experience including strong proposal writing skills
- Experience with sustainability standards / certification an advantage
- Good computer skills, including use of databases and CRM (working knowledge of salesforce.com a bonus)
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a must, fluency in French and Portuguese is an added advantage