Research Assistants for Qualitative Data Coding Project Consultancy
CIMMYT, Mexico City, Mexico
Closing Date for Applications:
- The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) seeks five (5) detail-oriented research assistants with strong analytical and writing skills. The research assistants will report to and work closely with the Socioeconomics Gender Unit in support of a large comparative, qualitative CGIAR global study on gender norms, agency and agricultural innovation, inside the Socioeconomic Program.
- This assignment seeks to explore qualitatively the roles of gender norms and agency in processes of agricultural innovation. Field teams are currently collecting data with a standardized package of focus group and semi-structured interview methods in more than 70 diverse villages across three continents.
- The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
- The selected candidate will need to travel to CIMMYT’s Main Campus (located in Texcoco, Mexico) at least once a week. This consultancy is for 8 months, on a results based evaluations, it could be extended depending on the job needs.
Specific responsibilities of this position will include:
- Conduct coding and analysis with NVivo social science software: support team by conducting systematic contents analysis and coding of qualitative field reports.
- Prepare background analytical notes and other materials: provide analytic topical notes on study results and other background information as needed.
- Provide administrative, drafting and editorial support as needed for the production and dissemination of publishable documents and other needs.
- Compilation into a single excel file all of the numerical datasets and cleaning this dataset.
- Conducting numerical data analysis, including preparing data tables and figures and topical explanatory notes as requested; preparation of cross-tabs, bar charts or other visuals as requested by the research team.
- Perform any other tasks and assignments related to the program/project, as required by the supervisor.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualification, skills and attitudes:
- BA/BS in Social Sciences, preferably with a focus on gender relations, social inclusion and rural development.
- Recent graduates and students enrolled in a Master’s program are encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in MS Office and electronic communication.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Spanish languages.
- Selected candidate will also have a good sense of initiative, attitude of service and good teamwork, and have the ability and liking for multi-tasking.
- This position will require approximately 25-30 working hours per week.
- Selected candidate requires good interpersonal as well as good communication skills and the ability to work in a team.
- CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
- To apply, please email CV (in English) and a single three-to-five page writing sample that demonstrates your strong analytic and writing capacities (this could be the executive summary, introduction or conclusion to a longer report for academia or a job and must be in English) no later than Friday, 27 February 2015 to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: email@example.com / Please indicate Position Reference number: MC1513 in the subject of your email)
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This is a Nationally Recruited Consultancy.