LEAD, Patna, India
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
About the project:
EPoD India is undertaking a study that aims to introduce a cross-randomized intervention in a subset of our original RCT in Bihar localities to ask whether providing information directly to local elected officials, who have strong electoral incentives for the MGNREGA program to function well locally, can further reduce wage payment delays. This could occur by influencing the sub-steps in the payment process over which the officials have direct purview and via impacts on the bureaucrats charged with wage payment processing. The study will focus on whether leveraging local electoral accountability can enhance bureaucratic effectiveness, and the relative importance of each in the context of MGNREGA wage payment processing and implementation.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of field-based research (scoping, surveying, project implementation in the field) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, budgets, and reporting for the project
- Assist in the design and field-testing of survey instruments and develop and implement appropriate structures and systems for a larger randomized intervention, including the procurement of supplies; development and oversight of field and quality control protocols; recruitment, training, and leading of field staff; and coordination with local partners
- Manage day-to-day relationships with national, state, and lower-level government officials and other potential partners (academics, policy organizations, NGOs, etc.) as requested
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for Yale and EPoD India at LEAD and for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub
- Seek out and collect administrative data from partners and government agencies
- Conduct data cleaning, manipulation, and analysis using multiple primary and secondary data sources
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of policy briefs and research projects
- Contribute to analysis and writing of policy briefs for various government partners and case studies on project components
- Others, as required
- Bachelor’s candidates with at least 2 years of experience with data-based research, preferably in economics or a related field. Field experience is a plus.
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries.
- Excellent oral and written English and Hindi communication skills.
- Proficiency in Stata and the Microsoft Office suite is required; experience in spatial analysis
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment.
- Master’s degree in economics or a related field.
- Candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners at various levels.