Researcher - Biochemistry
International Rice Research Institute(IRRI), Laguna, Philippines
Closing Date for Applications:
- Under the general supervision of a Senior Scientist, plan the implementation of experiment(s), survey(s) and other research studies and conduct them as specified / defined in the research outline.
- Collect and analyze data.
- Work closely together with collaborating partners.
- Contribute to data analysis and the preparation of manuscripts for reports, publications and presentations/posters.
- Assist in training activities.
- This position is based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines and can only be filled by citizens and permanent residents of the Philippines.
Roles and Responsibilities
Plan the implementation of routine experiment(s) in the field of biochemistry/molecular biology/biomarker identification biology to support projects goals of the Organizational Unit’s (OU’s) research objectives related to drought toelrance
- Coordinate with collaborators on their research activities as required
- Plan the support/manpower needed and set up work schedule
- Prepare the material and equipment needed based on research outline provided
- Assist in verifying and/or applying methods/techniques that guarantee the success of the eperiment
Assist in supervising the implementation of experiments and/or other research studies in the field of biochemistry/molecular biology/biomarker identification biology
- Oversee the work of research technician and/or contract workers to ensure that research activities are implemented according to plan and specific standards
- Coordinate with collaborating OUs the timely supply of material needed
- Contribute to the preservation of research areas and direct the maintenance of technical equipment (repair/replacement)
Collect and analyze research data in the field of biochemistry/molecular biology/biomarker identification biology
- Collect and process data to its required form
- Identify inconsistencies in the data collection and/or missing information
- Carry out graphical and basic statistical data analysis
- Update database for storage and retrieval of information/data
Contribute to the preparation of reports and publications, and presentations in the field of biochemistry/molecular biology/biomarker identification biology
- Provide appropriate data and information about experiment(s)/research study
- Contribute to manuscripts/write –ups for annual reports and publications in referred journals as well was presentations/ posters for national and international conferences
Support the training of scholars and on-the-job trainees as required
- Assist in the coordination and running of trainings
- Act as resource person for training courses and visitors
- Supervise the work of Research Technicians
- Provide feedback on performance of Research Technician to immediate supervisor
- Assist students and trainees
- Perform experiments related to gene discovery
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor from time to time
- Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry/molecular biology/genetics/plant breeding/ agriculture with minimum of 2 years relevant work experience
- Masters degree in biochemistry/molecular biology/genetics/plant breeding/ agriculture with minimum of 1 year relevant work experience
- Is familiar with quality control tools
- Has proven technical proficiency in conducting research experiments
- Has strong analytical skills
- Has Bioinformatics and Quantitative genetics skills