Asian Development Bank(ADB), Headquarters, Papua New Guinea
Closing Date for Applications:
- To support the Asian Development Bank (ADB) operation in Papua New Guinea (PNG) through its Resident Mission in Port Moresby (PNRM) in the area of safeguards, economic analysis of environmental and natural resource issues, country programming, processing and administration of projects, and the identification/preparation of knowledge products in the area of natural resources economics, gender and safeguards.
- Provides support to safeguard assessments of ADB operations in PNG.
- Undertakes analytical reviews on environmental and gender aspects of ADB operations in PNG.
- Reviews and provides comments on project safeguard documents to ensure compliance with ADB’s environmental and social safeguards policies.
- Assists in the development of knowledge products, services and partnerships to raise awareness and understanding of environmental and natural resource economics issues.
- Interacts with government, civil society, other international organizations, development partners, and other stakeholders on environmental and natural resource economics issues and advises them of ADB’s Safeguard Policy Statement, guidelines, procedures and good practices.
- Conducts training needs analysis, prepares and delivers training program, performs training impacts and refines training program.
- Prepares issues papers and country information to support policy dialogue and country programming activities, particularly in relation to environmental, natural resource and economic issues.
- Supports loan processing and participates in selected fact-finding and appraisal missions for projects that are likely to have impacts on the environment, involuntary resettlement and/or on indigenous peoples to help prepare plans and actions to address safeguard issues.
- Actively supports project implementation with particular emphasis on projects with environmental and social issues and to help ensure compliance of projects with ADB’s safeguard policy.
- Supports regular monitoring of country performance under ADB’s Performance Based Allocation Policy.
- Supports PNRM in coordination with other development partners in the areas of macroeconomic management, environmental and natural resource economics.
- Organizes workshops and seminars to disseminate findings of economic and safeguards work supported by ADB and helps countries to strengthen their own country safeguard systems.
- Undertakes other tasks as assigned by the supervisor and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, social sector, environmental engineering and/or natural resource management or similar area, preferably with advanced training
- At least 8 years relevant professional experience.
- Experience with multilateral development institutions an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in liaison with government officials, technical specialists, and staff from international development institutions.
- Familiarity with development partners’ procedures and guidelines, in particular ADB
- Ability to take initiative, make decisions and work independently.
- Familiarity with Pacific countries and institutions.
- Strong client focus and high level of commitment to results.
- Effective report writing and English communication skills.
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines.
- Proficiency with computers, especially word processing, spreadsheets and email
People and leadership skills
- Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Strong oral and written communications skills