Safety and Security Officer
USIP , Erbil, Iraq
Closing Date for Applications:
The Safety & Security Officer (SSO), will be bases in either Tunis, Tunisia or Erbil, Iraq and will support the USIP MENA team to identify threats to the safety and security of USIP staff within the MENA region, provide the education and training of staff working in conflict zones, track travel within the MENA region, develop plans for and monitor the safety and security of staff, and respond to security and safety incidents within MENA. This position reports to the MENA Programs Director and coordinates and works closely with USIP’s Office of Overseas Safety & Security (OSS). This individual will be familiar with USIP’s International Crisis Management Plan and serve on the MENA Incident Management Team.
This position is for national hires only.
This is a Personal Services Contractor position.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
60% of SSO’s time is dedicated to support USIP Middle East Programs and 40% to USIP North Africa Programs.
- Monitors regularly key regional conflicts and overseas safety trends with implications for USIP travelers, both full time staff and contractors.
- Reviews online news, reports, and primary sources for regional safety/security related incidents and information relevant to the MENA region.
- Plans, prepares, coordinates, monitors, implements, and updates MENA safety and security policies, and ensures that all USIP staff within the MENA region (including implementing partners) follow the policies and procedures. Policies must align with USIP OSS policies.
- Actively engages with counterparts in other organizations and institutions, to include USIP OSS, embassy RSOs, OSAC country councils, NGOs, etc., for information and insights that will enhance the quality of USIP’s safety/security protocols for international travel and overseas operations.
- Serves as the primary point of contact/lead for all program related and security matters within the MENA region.
- Develops, maintains, and trains on security plans for all regional offices to include standard operating procedures and evacuations.
- Maintains records of safety evaluations of the THO.
- Surveys, consolidates, and retains pertinent information on regional travel, e.g., hotels, guest houses, security companies, traveler reports, etc.
- Conducts After Action Reviews post-incident in coordination with OSS and disseminates incident summaries to relevant parties
- Coordinates and schedules regular and ad hoc security meetings.
- Schedules safety and security related training for THO staff and contractors who require such training.
- Maintains a list of approved sources of regional security training providers.
- Maintains a daily log of all USIP travelers within the MENA region.
- Serves on the Incident Management Team in accordance with the USIP International Crisis Management Plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university with preferred study in risk management, crisis management, political science, international relations, security studies or related areas.
- 5+ years of experience at a country or regional level security management position (or a Masters degree and 2+ years of relevant experience).
- Knowledge of organizational security standards and practices for public facilities and familiarity with security practices for high threat environments desirable.
- First Aid Instructor, EMT, Wilderness First Aid qualification, or other equivalent medical certification highly desirable.
- Knowledge of regional geography and country-specific characteristics relevant to safety and security.
- Capacity to rapidly analyze emerging on-the-ground scenarios from a lens of security and risk management to make assessments on traveler security.
- Excellent research and planning skills.
- Skills in written analysis and report preparation.
- Familiarity with MS Office applications.
- Experience studying, working or traveling in designated conflict zones.
- Fluency in written and verbal English.
- Proficiency in French or Arabic highly desirable.