Scientist - Agronomist/Water Scientist
International Rice Research Institute(IRRI), Dhaka, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
- The agronomist/water scientist will lead a research and development program on innovative crop and natural resource management approaches to the management of rice-based production systems in the coastal zone of Bangladesh. The program will contribute to the Ganges Basin Focal Program of the Water, Land and Ecosystems CG Consortium Research Program (CRP5) and to Theme 3 of the Global Rice Science Partnership (GRiSP): “Ecological and sustainable management of rice-based production systems”. Collaborative links and partnerships will be developed and strengthened with other CG centres, and with national research and outscaling organisations. The agronomist/water scientist will also interact with other IRRI scientists working crop and resource management for rice-based cropping systems in other delta coastal zones. The position will be based in Bangladesh, and the appointee will be expected to spend significant amounts of time in Khulna.
- This position is based at IRRI Country Office in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead IRRI's research in Bangladesh on the development, evaluation and demonstration of novel approaches for improving water management for more resilient, productive and diverse cropping systems in delta coastal zones.
- Lead on-farm participatory evaluation of improved water management and cropping systems at the sub-polder scale
- Lead a participatory action research program with women from farming families to explore opportunities for new livelihood opportunities as a result of improved agricultural water management and cropping systems
- Develop and strengthen partnerships with international and national research and outscaling organizations (GOs and NGOs) and other relevant projects/programs
- Contribute to the development of new project proposals together with IRRI colleagues, other CG centres, ARIs, and NARES in Bangladesh.
- Represent IRRI’s crop and natural resource management research for development in the coastal zone of Bangladesh to a wide audience by presenting at national and international conferences/meetings, publishing in international journals, and communicating with a wide range of stakeholders, especially donors, development programs and policy makers concerned with development of the coastal zone of Bangladesh
- Contribute to training and the development of training modules and outreach materials for crop and water management for rice-based cropping systems in the coastal zone of Bangladesh – targeted at local water management groups, local government, extension organizations (GOs and NGOs), and development projects seeking to increase agricultural productivity and improve rural livelihoods in the coastal zone of Bangladesh
- Support, mentor and oversee the work of project-based staff, partners and scholars.
- PhD in agronomy, hydrology or relevant field
- At least 5 years’ postgraduate research experience in agronomy and water management; strong background in field research and extension activities in rice-based cropping systems; experience in resource management in polder agro-ecosystems; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated ability to work in multi-partner and multi-disciplinary teams and in a multi-cultural environment; publications record commensurate with experience.