Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organisation working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalised and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality.
Plan International and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) partner to ensure that young people in Asia-Pacific are consulted and can influence the policies and practices that affect their lives and futures.
This role provides technical support to ADB on youth engagement with a particular focus on economic empowerment and inclusion, helps coordinate Plan International’s strategic partnership with ADB in support of Plan International’s “100 Million Reasons” global strategy, and supports youth engagement initiatives for ADB.
This position, while contracted by Plan International, will be formally seconded to ADB, who will provide day-to-day management of the position
The key priorities in this role include, youth engagement and economic empowerment, diversity and inclusion (especially gender) and other topics of particular importance to youth in Asa, while also supporting “ADB Youth for Asia” ADB’s flagship youth initiative.
As the Senior Advisor, ADB Youth Engagement and Economic Empowerment:
- you will have the opportunity to be the manager of one of Plan Internationals most complex and important institutional relationships in the Asia pacific region by fostering collaboration between in order to ensure strategic-level collaboration between the two leading organisations
- You will provide high-quality direct support to ADB in the area of youth engagement with a focus on economic empowerment and inclusion issues, while being responsible for identifying additional opportunities for collaboration between ADB and Plan International technical experts, and then leading the operationalising off these opportunities.
- You will have the opportunity to advance Plan International priorities to diverse international audiences, including senior leaders, while contributing substantively to ADB discussions around best practices and the operationalization of their youth engagement and economic empowerment initiatives
- You will get to engage collaboratively and directly in exciting progressive ways with young people in order to help them engage and influence powerholders and duty bearers.
Some of the many exciting activities that you will take part in, while undertaking this role include:
- Serve on the ADB Youth for Asia (YfA) Youth Coordination Team;
- Work with ADB and YfA to develop research initiatives that will further YfA and ADB strategic priorities;
- Work with the Head of the NGO and Civil Society Centre at ADB on issues surrounding YfA institutionalization and strategic intent.
- Provide gender and inclusion support for YfA activities; ensure gender and inclusion analysis is integrated into key project and program documents;
- Identify opportunities with young people and key technical experts at ADB to develop new opportunities for meaningful youth engagement in areas of importance to ADB and Plan International
- Support global and regional Plan International teams to engage with and influence ADB strategies and departments, while ensuring the meaningful engagement of young people, and especially young women, with ADB at all levels
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?
To be successful in this role you will need among other things:
- An advanced degree in a relevant field and/or substantial relevant work experience
- Professional training and experience in child or youth-led programming for development
- Technical expertise in at least one or more of the following the area(s) youth livelihoods, youth economic empowerment, decent work and/or gender and inclusion
- Strong knowledge of gender-transformative principles and demonstrated experience working on gender-transformative programs or policies
- Experience working for a reputable international development actors.
- Experience building partnerships and high-level stake-holder management
- The ability to be an effective influencer, who is able network across diverse bodes, and how has strong public speaking skills.
- The ability to manage events, while having demonstrated experience in planning and organising young people from different counties.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills, with an excellent command of English
- The ability to be Future-focused, inquisitive and open-minded while seeking out evolving and innovative ways to add value to the organisation
- An interest in listening to the perspectives of others, and seeking feedback from others in order to learn and improve
- The ability to hold yourself and others to high-standards of fiscal responsibility and financial management.