Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
For assigned projects, the Senior Associate, Project Delivery serves as part of the Project Management Unit (PMU). This team is responsible, under the leadership of Practice Area Lead and the management of the Director, Project Delivery, for the management and delivery of projects. The specific purpose of the position is to support and facilitate the management and implementation of effective and efficient financial and compliance activities to deliver projects in accordance with contractual obligations, company policies and client rules and regulations.
The Senior Associate, Project Delivery uses their experience in completing substantive and administrative tasks to enhance management of Palladium’s projects as a member of one or more PMUs. Knowledgeable in the basics of project management, this role works closely with the Manager, Project Delivery, to take on increasingly complex duties and challenges in project delivery. They may begin to practice their management skills by overseeing one or two small projects with close coaching from their supervisor. Staff in this role work closely with their PMUs to regularly demonstrate knowledge in all aspects of project management, in preparation to take on manager-level positions in project delivery or functional areas.
- Contribute to planning and managing project start-up and closeout including assisting with registration, and establishing project offices and facilitating finalized leases;
- Serve as the project’s liaison between corporate services, Senior Managers, Project Delivery, and the Compliance and Project Excellence Hub, and the project;
- Help draft and maintenance of project specific components of the project operations manual;
- In collaboration with the Compliance and Project Excellence Hub and corporate services, support training and giving guidance to project staff on and ensure compliance with company policies, and client rules and regulations (covering as required, risk management, project planning, human resource management, monitoring, reporting, finance, procurement, logistics, IT, communications, audit support and all other project management matters);
- Participate in the development and monitoring of project work plans;
- Support drafting and development of internal and external reporting (for example: quarterly Internal Project Reviews (IPRs), CPARs, project risk assessments, annual reviews, and client deliverables) and ensure these outputs are fit for purpose;
- Ensure project issues and risks are reported on, managed and mitigated, and escalate risks and issues to practice, project, or Compliance Hub leadership, as required;
- In collaboration with Risk Management, conduct periodic compliance checks on processes and internal controls, including asset management procedures;
- Manage service providers and address contractual and payment matters as needed;
- Support development of project subcontractor, grants management, and procurement procedures compliant with internal policies and client rules and regulations;
- Assist in monitoring quality of field procurement; ensuring compliance with company anti-corruption and due diligence processes;
- Draft monthly reporting on the status of partner budgets/invoicing and grants;
- Draft and obtain approval for contract action requests (i.e., travel, personnel additions/changes, partner, grant, budget realignment, etc.);
- Support the planning and coordination of inputs from the company’s security team as needed;
- Leads internal PMU administration, including drafting weekly meeting agendas, tracking tasks, maintaining calendars and deadline reminders;
- Contribute to technical assistance through reviews, engaging in work planning and discussions with the field team, etc. to build skills with the goal of taking on a more senior role, such as director of project delivery or a functional area.
Contract and Client Relationship Management
- Support the monitoring and maintenance of compliance with head/prime contracts;
- Manage and support contract amendments as required;
- Prepare regular or ad hoc reporting and communications with clients;
- Support project advocacy with internal and external stakeholders.
- Advise field teams on company policies for financial management to ensure they are implemented in compliance with the client’s rules and regulations;
- Support efforts to ensure project levels of delegated authority issued are in accordance with Palladium’s Expenditure Approval and Signature Authority Policy and Guidelines and facilitate the process for higher-level approvals as required;
- Collaborate with Financial Management to establish the project charge codes, ensuring they meet client and project requirements for cost allocation, monitoring and evaluation, and client reporting;
- Collaborate with Treasury to facilitate set-up of project bank accounts with appropriate company and project signatories;
- Emphasize adherence to the project financial calendar including monitoring, reconciling, and reporting on expense advances monthly;
- Support monitoring of expenditures against budgets and forecasts, including staff costs, operating expenses and procurements; as a metric to track the project’s progress against its work plan;
- Support project financial / cash-flow planning, review and approval for funding requests from the field, and review and obtain approval for monthly Funds Transfer Requests (FTRs);
- Review cashbooks / field vouchers and ensure supporting documentation is complete
- Serve as a coordinator for service providers and obtain approval for work orders and invoices; assist in ensuring accuracy of client invoices (including monthly, milestone and performance based invoices);
- Support the external audit process as-needed and ensure retention of project records is compliant with company and client policy.
Human Resource Management and Recruitment
- Support project human resource planning, recruitment, contracting, and coordination of inputs from the company’s Compliance, HR, and Talent Acquisition teams (i.e., benefits, local law,etc.);
- Maintain project data on relevant HR systems for short-term and long-term staff and consultants;
- Support the mobilisation and demobilisation of all international staff (short-term and long-term) including contracting (in coordination with HR), and travel management;
Business Development / Other
- Contribute to company growth by supporting well-managed projects, ensuring Palladium is seen positively by clients for consideration in future business development;
- Participate in capture planning, providing inputs on implementation requirements;
- Provide input and support business development of the company as required.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Reporting requirements
The role reports to the Project Manager (or Project Director in teams that do not have a Project Manager). Reporting requirements include:
- Attendance at all regular management team meetings,
- Provision of regular updates to the line manager, including updates on Key Result Areas (KRAs) and any other material matters and/or areas of concern,
- Monthly submission of financials and forecasts, and contributions to Practice and corporate reporting;
- Other reporting as requested by the line manager.
- The role will form part of the Practice Area;
- As delegated, the role liaises with clients, technical area specialists, corporate services, professional service providers, and other stakeholders as required.
- The role carries a degree of autonomy on project management with appropriate consultation. The role is required to:
- analyse and make sound recommendations to the line manager;
- oversee the work of interns or associates as assigned; and
- contribute to process improvement through innovative and cost effective proposals/ideas/suggestions.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Works with respect and dignity for all colleagues and contributes to a cooperative team working environment.
- Previous experience with managing projects or activities, using customer service skills, and/or completing tasks where high quality organizational, financial, or managerial skills was needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyse financial reports.
- Sound problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong management skills with ability to train and develop staff.
- Ability to travel and work in developing countries for extended periods of time if needed.
- Ability to work with a low level of supervision and as a part of a team when required.
- Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience working in the international development sector.
- Excellent English language communication skills and fluency in international language.