About the Organization:
Acumen was founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001 to use power of entrepreneurship to build a world where everyone had the opportunity to live with dignity. Their vision is a world based on dignity, where every human being has the same opportunity. Rather than giving philanthropy away, we invest it in companies and change makers.
Position: Senior Associate - Post Investment
About the Role:
The senior associate will oversee Acumen India ’s post-investment management processes, from assessing the needs of our portfolio companies to designing the most appropriate strategy, leveraging industry best-practices and an understanding of our market, as well as manage our ongoing implementation, including building the necessary team of internal and external resources for direct engagement with critical portfolio companies. The senior associate will be expected to build a successful capability in a fast-changing and entrepreneurial environment, and will be expected to bring exceptional judgment, deep operational expertise and an excellent track record of similar accomplishment. This position will report directly to the India Country Director.
The Post Investment Associate will be expected to coordinate the assessment and prioritization of portfolio company needs and recommend appropriate solutions:
- Assist in leveraging internal and external resources to be delivered to investee companies to solve critical issues.
- Design and recommend an appropriate strategy to build and implement a world-class post-investment management capability at Acumen India
- Build external resources capable of providing on-going assistance and support to portfolio companies as necessary (strategic and specialized tactical resources - accounting, finance, IT and human resources)
Manage ongoing Performance Management to achieve Portfolio Company and Acumen India objectives:
- Identify, manage and analyze the collection of key performance metrics on a timely basis
- Ensure portfolio team and internal resources are: Creating and executing of First 100 day plans to understand near-term value creation opportunities
- Delivering appropriate strategic and tactical advice and support to help portfolio companies achieve business plan objectives.
Ensure external resources are allocated optimally:
- Building the necessary team of internal and external resources for direct engagement with critical portfolio companies
- Coordinate inbound pro bono support and match with the needs of portfolio companies
- Initiate exits from investments that have served their purpose and be deeply involved in matter of turnarounds and refinancing matters of Acumen India’s existing Portfolio companies
- Partner with Leadership team to deploy Acumen Fellow resources to portfolio companies (review Terms of Reference and placements; solicit Fellows’ input and feedback)
- Manage annual review exercises and knowledge sharing:
Conduct the Annual Portfolio Review:
- Using internal and external resources, coordinate a series of country-specific and global portfolio trainings or gatherings, on relevant topics such as: supply chain management, market adoption, governance, attracting and retaining talent, growth management, and other topics of relevance to portfolio companies in this space
- Manage portfolio learnings and communications from the India Country Director
- Work with the Country Director, Portfolio Team and the portfolio companies on select high priority engagements.
Qualifications & Characteristics:
- 5 - 7 years of experience in consulting, investment management, venture capital, private equity
- Superior financial, modeling and business analysis skills; demonstrated by prior experience.
- Familiarity with the social enterprise and impact investing sectors; demonstrated commitment to serving the poor is preferred.
- Strong ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results in conditions of uncertainty.
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure.
- Authorization to work in India on a permanent basis.