Human Rights Watch, Nigeria
Closing Date for Applications:
The Africa Division of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a Senior Editor to provide support to the team. The Senior Editor will report to the Executive Director of the Africa Division based in Abuja, Nigeria. This position is fixed term for six months. HRW’s office are currently closed for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19; this position does not need to be based in a location where HRW has an office, but should be based in Africa, the Middle East, Europe, or the eastern US time zone.
- Edit, revise and recast news releases, op-eds, reports and other written materials drafted by Africa division staff;
- Mentor Africa division staff in HRW writing style and improve their proficiency in the application of human rights and international humanitarian law and standards.; and
- Carrying out any other tasks as required.
Education: An advanced (master) degree in international relations, journalism, law, social sciences, or related studies is required.
Experience: A minimum of six years of relevant experience.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including ability to uphold standards in line with HRW fact-checking guidelines, as well as the ability to think creatively and strategically are required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to apply international humanitarian and human rights laws is required, while knowledge of African human rights legal framework is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain solid and effective working relationships at long distance, through modern technology is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills in diverse cultural settings in order to work collaboratively within HRW, as well as with external partners, are required.
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including good planning and organizing skills, and ability to work under pressure are required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.