Senior Education Policy Analyst - Program Manager
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Dakar, Senegal
Closing Date for Applications:
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the authority of the Director of IIEP, and the direct supervision of IIEP-Dakar Head of Office, the incumbent will lead the Technical Cooperation (TC) team of the office in its activities of supporting the analysis, planning, implementation, management, and monitoring of education and training policies in Africa. The TC team also includes two major projects, the Quality Management program and the Platform of expertise in vocational training. The work conducted and subsequent outputs will be subject to internal validation procedures under the responsibility of the Head of Office.
Lead the TC work
- Lead the team’s agenda, taking account of country requests, thematic priorities, and available expertise;
- Lead the policy dialog with countries and development partners in the identification of their needs and the support that IIEP can provide;
- Guide and supervise the preparation of technical proposals for the projects;
- Provide support, guidance, and mentorship to the team;
- Ensure: the quality control of the outputs (drafts reports, ToRs, etc.); the M&E of the team's projects; the staff supervision and performance review; and that adequate expertise is present in the Team to respond to member countries’ request and advise the Head of Office on staffing needs.
Take active participation in the support to countries:
- Support the development of education sector analysis;
- Support the discussions and definition of educational policy trade-offs and the development of national strategy documents (education policy notes, expenditure medium term financial framework, simulation models, sector plan…);
- Support the identification and the development of systems, methodologies, and tools to facilitate the implementation and monitoring of national policies;
- Support Ministries of Education and development partners in preparing of national Joint Sector Reviews;
- Ensure that relevant and adequate capacity development of national teams is integrated and successfully provided in all above activities.
- Support the Training Team and contribute to the training program by contributing to the content development and training delivery.
- Contribute to the Research and Development program of IIEP-Dakar, in support to the R&D team, by contributing to the needs identification, developing methodologies and tools to capitalize on and support the TC work, and of research to contribute to knowledge generation.
- Contribute, in collaboration with the Communication team, to the production, use and dissemination of information on African education sectors.
- Support international initiatives for the SDG agenda and the Continental Education Strategy for Africa (CESA).
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Economics, Statistics, Education or other relevant Social Sciences with a strong quantitative and qualitative analysis focus.
- Minimum seven (7) years of relevant working experience in the fields of education sector analysis, planning and management of education systems of which preferably three (3) years acquired at international level.
- Experience working with ministries of education in African countries and development partners.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrable knowledge of statistical and econometric techniques.
- Excellent knowledge and use of statistical software such SPSS, SAS, STATA and spreadsheets.
- Demonstrable knowledge of African education systems.
- Good knowledge of the problems of education in the context of developing countries particularly in Africa.
- Ability to undertake regular missions, especially in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to lead teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge of French and good knowldge of English.