Senior Field Associate
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Mexico
Closing Date for Applications:
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Senior Field Associate is normally supervised by the (Senior) Field Officer or Head of Office and performs a variety of functions related to Field activities within the office. The supervisor defines general work objectives and the incumbent completes the work independently. Work is controlled for meeting expected results and conformity to policy and procedures by the supervisor. The Senior Field Associate normally supervises some General Service support staff.
- The incumbent keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs; to ensure provision of services and resolution of problems and with the external contacts generally with officials of national and international institutions, leaders of the refugee community, local population and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Undertake regular visits to various sites in order to assess needs of persons of concern, with particular attention to vulnerable groups.
- Advise the supervisor on programme requirements and formulate project submissions, including community development and self-reliance activities, where applicable, in collaboration with authorities and implementing partners.
- Monitor and supervise the implementation of UNHCR programme including the delivery of all assistance items and monitoring of infrastructure and make the necessary recommendation for its improvement.
- Keep regular contacts with local authorities and implementing partners as requested by supervisor.
- Act as interpreter when required.
- Contribute to the preparation of status and progress reports by providing info, preparing tables, etc.
- Monitor refugee movements related to repatriation and other inter-camps transfers.
- Inform and act on the reports received on persons of concern within the refugee community or from the local authorities.
- Handle, in coordination with implementing partners, the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Represent UNHCR in physical monitoring of projects.
- Provide inputs for the country operations plan and other submissions and reports.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Education & Professional Work Experience
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G7 - 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Field(s) of Education
- Not applicable
Certificates and/or Licenses
- Business Administration, Law, Political Science
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Knowledge of International legal affairs relating to asylum, migration and related issues.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- UNHCR field experience.
- IT-Computer Literacy
- EX-Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations
- MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
- CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners
- PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For General Service jobs:
- Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.