Senior Gender Affairs Officer
United Nations, Kinshasa, Congo
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in Kinshasa within the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO). The Senior Gender Affairs Officer reports directly to the Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG)
Within delegated authority, the Senior Gender Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides advice to the SRSG and senior management on women, peace and security issues and mainstreaming a gender perspective into the tasks of the Mission.
- Provides senior management with analysis and guidance on ensuring effective implementation of the DPO Policy on Gender Responsive Peacekeeping Operations 2018 – 2021 and application of the Women Peace and Security mandates and Departmental policies on gender equality.
- Supports and assists senior management to meet their accountability goals on gender equality in line with the Security Council mandates on women peace and security and established benchmarks through the Gender Markers and the UN System-Wide Gender Parity Strategy
- Steers the implementation of the mission-wide action plan for gender responsiveness and MLT decisions on the Gender Markers through Mission’s components, sections and offices, gender focal points and field offices for on-going gender analyses, defining and updating gender sensitive indicators and reporting with sex-disaggregated data.
- Ensures quality control for the monitoring, evaluating and reporting on gender mainstreaming and mission activities and gender parity across the mission.
- Coordinates and collaborates with the Mission Senior Women Protection Adviser and supports the work of Conflict Related Sexual Violence/Sexual and Gender Based Violence (CRSV/SGBV) in accordance with comprehensive strategies to combat CRSV where is applies.
- Supports Mission leadership to engage with relevant international regional and national actors on the anticipation and inclusion of women in all phases of post conflict governance and peacekeeping/peacebuilding programmes.
- Contributes to all mission planning and strategic developmental processes especially inputs related to results-based budgeting and reporting.
- Ensures liaison and coordination with partners, internal and external as related to gender equality
- Drafts, edits all final reporting and written materials from the Gender Team and reports regularly to HQ on gender activities.
- Oversees the work of the Gender Affairs Section and ensures performance and people management.
- Oversees all outputs related to gender from the Mission.
- Represents the Mission on women peace and security issues where needed.
- Performs any other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree, (Master's degree or equivalent) preferably in international relations, human rights law, social science or related humanities field. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible policy, advisory and programme management experience at the national and international levels related to the promotion of gender equality, including at least five years at the international level, particularly with international organisations in conflict or post-conflict settings, is required.
- Demonstrated expertise in successfully integrating gender perspectives into mainstream policies or programmes is required.
- Experience advising senior management is required.
- Experience managing a team is required.
- Experience working in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds, and programmes)- or similar international organization or non-governmental organisation - in a conflict or post-conflict setting is desirable.
- Experience in the conception, roll-out and monitoring of gender markers is highly desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in both oral and written English and French is required.