This position is for you:
- If you have strong appetite for communication, relationship and for challenging discussions regarding the various spectrum of GIS technologies
- If you have a strong interest in understanding humanitarian and development organizations’ needs and constraints and delivering targeted quality solutions to field operations as well as headquarters.
- If you are passionate about collaboration and team work, to bring the best technical solutions adapted to any given situation to solve key humanitarian challenges.
- If you enjoy discovering and testing new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind.
Presentation of the organization
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized emergency response and development as well as UN agencies; MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 30 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a Senior GIS Project Manager having management, communication and coordination skills to join our team with extended experience with GIS, WebGIS and database management and a strong appetite for research, tests and innovative ideas. Having worked in the humanitarian sector is a must for this position.
- Contract Type: starting with fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with the objective of making it permanent if wished by both parties – Position opened to other types of status for international workers, to be discussed.
- Start Date: ASAP
- Location: ideally at HQ in Chambéry (France), remote working possible depending on the conditions and arrangement, to be discussed
- Salary: calculated with CartONG’s salary grid based on experience, 39 hours/week contract (35 h + 4 extra hours paid); or based on the grid with location factor if international worker
- Other benefits: additional health insurance & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO (unless remote working), you will be in charge of leading both people and technology. Key responsibilities include supervision of the GIS activities, capacities and resources’ planning, and staff management. In addition to responsibilities for GIS Activities, you must be able to communicate and present to external partner, manage GIS project teams, and coordinate with other teams.
Your main task will be to manage a large GIS programme consisting of different work streams and projects within those work streams and in addition, depending on scope, small to medium size GIS projects with other partners, keeping a balance within the parameters of costs, quality and scheduled timelines. Most of the projects also include assisting the partners to define project scope and strategy.
In this context, your assignments are:
- Work on the partner’s and CartONG’s GIS Strategies, ensure that they are in line and coherent
- Define development priorities in line with the strategy together with the partner
- Prepare, prioritize and monitor the activities, objectives and deliverables, adapting to partner’s evolving needs inherent to the humanitarian sector
- Supervise the team implementing the project and ensure its general coordination (meetings, internal communication towards the team and the management, etc.)
- Supervise and contribute to the narrative and budgetary reporting of the project
- Check monthly the activities of the staff on the project, monitor and approve procurement, and other administrative tasks
- Coordinate the external communication on the project (public resources, blog posts, news on the website…)
- Analyze and clarify user requirements on BI or GIS web applications, explaining technical solutions in easy terms of non-technical people
- Establish the project timeline in collaboration with the technical manager
- Challenge the partner and suggest tools and processes according to their activities
- Build networking with external potential partners for work collaboration (OSM, Missing Maps…)
Technical: GIS, IT (depending on the skills)
- Follow up the data & server architecture together with the technical team in order to adapt it to chosen solutions
You will travel regularly to Geneva or other HQs, and might be deployed periodically for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, rush situations).
Qualification: Engineer Master’s Degree or equivalent in GIS or computer science
Experience: 5 years, including minimum 3 years in the Humanitarian Sector
Professionnal Skills & Knowledge
- Good knowledge of the wide range of GIS solutions and business environment: from mapping to server through web mapping and database management
- Able to quickly understand partner’s needs in order to translate them into requirements, and enjoy problem solving
- Strong relational capacities allowing to interact with other services of the organization (technical, communication, management...)
- Languages requirements: Good level in French and English required (min. B2)
- Ability to drive and maintain accountability for commitments, and execute responsibilities in an efficient, focused manner; to clearly communicate objectives, work load prioritization, implement and continuously improve processes to meet time, budget objectives, monitor progress and achieve desired outcomes
- Strong leadership skills with ability to impact individual project direction through influence and collaboration
- Self-initiative, ability to balance short-term technical choices with a long-term vision of developments and to manage urgency
- Autonomy and rigor: strong sense of ownership of assigned tasks and proven track record of delivery on commitment
- Interest in humanitarian issues and understanding of the humanitarian work environment
- Ability to communicate and justify technical/design choices and implementation details to different audiences: users, technical people and project managers
- Familiar with Agile methods and iterative development
- ESRI Product suite
- Mobile Data collection tools: Collector for ArcGIS, ODK
- Knowledge on OSM: Ecosystem and technical aspects
- QGIS Suite
- Leaflet, Openlayers3
- Aerial Imagery: Remote sensing, drone, machine learning
- Performing database tuning and ETL performance related problems