Senior Investment Officer
International Finance Corporation, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
- IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2020, we invested $22 billion in private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
- IFC's mining team works with private sector mining companies and coordinates closely with the World Bank's policy team that works with governments on mining regulations. The team works with a wide range of investment products, from project finance, corporate loans, green and sustainability-linked loans on the debt side, to equity and quasi-equity in private or listed companies.
- To support the growth of this business, IFC is seeking an experienced candidate with a solid sector and financial background and sound business judgment for the position. The position will be based in Washington DC where the IFC mining team is based and will help to cover IFC’s mining clients and projects globally. Some travel will be required.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain strong relationships with strategic mining clients as well as banking and multilateral partners to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities.
- Work closely with other members of the IFC mining team, regional infrastructure teams, country managers and officers to develop the mining pipeline, strengthen portfolio supervision, explore mining-related infrastructure opportunities and support IFC’s climate change strategy (incl. but not limited to Climate-Smart Mining, new critical minerals assets, GHG reduction initiatives).
- Collaborate with regional teams in developing sector and/or regional strategies and support related policy advisory or “upstream” work.
- Review and analyze business opportunities, synthesize information into internal reports for decision making purposes.
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, portfolio restructurings, capital increases, equity sales, etc. Use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in straightforward and complex transactions.
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues to add value to our clients' businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
- Contribute to dissemination of knowledge about mining within the broader infrastructure team via knowledge pieces, contribution to sector strategies, presentations, case studies, etc.
- Lead and manage project teams, mentor and develop junior staff, analysts in the team.
- MBA or equivalent qualification; sustainability finance qualification will be a plus.
- At least 10 years of experience with a development finance institution (DFI), an international financial institution (commercial or investment bank), or a private equity firm with tasks related to financing mining projects in emerging markets.
- Proven track-record of successfully sourcing, structuring and closing investments in the mining sector.
- Knowledge of the other various infra core sectors (power, transportation, utilities) will be a plus.
- Financial Skills: experience in financial investment products including but not limited to project finance, corporate loans, green and sustainability-linked loans, and equity investment is essential.
- Experience in financial advisory will be a plus.
- Strong business development and client relationship management skills demonstrated by track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively.
- Strong record of portfolio management of complex projects
- Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, financial and technical partners, senior government officials as well as colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.