Senior Manager, Media Relations
Gavi, The Vaccine Alliance, Geneva, Switzerland
Closing Date for Applications:
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is looking for a passionate, resourceful and experienced media relations professional with a specific expertise in French-speaking markets. The Senior Manager, Media Relations would be expected to play a leading role in our interactions with the media as well as actively contribute to a wider communications strategy taking in owned as well as earned media.
- Lead and manage media relations to deliver positive results in French-speaking and other media markets;
- Identify and develop relationships with key reporters, editors and other media;
- Lead communications workstreams within the organisation, developing content across earned and owned media;
- Help evolve and implement Gavi’s over-arching media strategy;
- Develop, write and edit content for media and other external audiences;
- Identify and manage reputational risk issues facing the Gavi Secretariat and the Vaccine Alliance;
- Brief Gavi’s executive leadership on communications and media issues and ensure they are prepared for media interviews and other external interactions as needed;
- Manage relationships with suppliers, for example PR or translation agencies;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key external partners.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
- Minimum 8 years of work experience in communications or media are required, preferably with some exposure to science and/or global health;
- Familiarity with French, German and Swiss media markets is necessary;
- Advanced writing competencies, for example opeds, speeches, blogs and other formats is essential.
- The ability to develop and write compelling messages and narratives to short deadlines;
- Confidence to communicate highly technical information accurately to a lay audience;
- Ability to think strategically and manage communications initiatives across media and digital channels;
- Excellent relationship management skills;
- Be comfortable and confident in writing in the voice of different people;
- Excellent copyediting and subediting skills.
- Fluency in French and English is essential for this role.