The Advancing Higher Education for Afghanistan’s Development (AHEAD) program supports the government of Afghanistan and its Ministry of Higher Education to increase access to higher education for vulnerable populations, improve the quality and relevance of higher education that supports market needs, and enhance the management and administrative capacity of Afghan higher education institutions (HEIs) and government counterparts. The five-year activity builds upon the results of USAID’s previous higher education investments and accelerates human and institutional capacity through a network approach whereby Afghan HEIs are partnered with Lead Universities across key growth sectors including Agriculture, Business, Education and Health. AHEAD’s Higher Education Networks involve a larger number of institutions and a broader set of activities than traditional university-to-university partnerships, providing a mechanism for strengthening Afghan HEI capacity, and promoting channels of communication and collaboration across the ecosystem of public and private HEIs in five Afghan provinces.
The Senior Research Manager (SRM) is responsible to oversee design of the Higher Education Institutions-led applied research activities and support HEI’s to develop research concepts, coordinate with MEL team on research/learning, and liaise with AHEAD’s partners and stakeholders to conduct workshops related to research.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Key responsibilities and tasks of the SMR includes:
- Liaise with Higher Education Institutes and other institutions participating in AHEAD program and coordinate research activities.
- Oversee the quality of work produced in training materials and delivery of research workshops conducted by AHEAD and HENs.
- In collaboration with AHEAD partner universities, train and assist HENs in developing research skills and formulation of research-based proposals and schedules.
- Familiarized HENs with the process of obtaining research grants from AHEAD
- Facilitate engagement with private sector organizations and encourage partnerships with HENs
- Ensure that Institutional Research Board Standards are respected in any research activity supported by AHEAD
- Build faculty capacity to conduct applied research in consultation with partner universities
- Must be proactive problem solvers with excellent planning, coordination, and leadership skills
- Draft research activity reports and contribute to AHEAD’s monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
Minimum Qualifications and Attributes:
- Must possess advanced program and project management skills, strong analytical abilities, and familiarity with research discovery and development processes.
- Ability to meet regularly meet with stakeholders, including research constituents, clients and study teams, to collect and communicate business and research requirements, and set expectations for research-related work.
- Experience with both qualitative and quantitative research
- Ability to interpret research data, generate reports, and propose actionable recommendations.
- Must have advanced academic degrees, such as Master’s in Education (MEd), Master’s in Business Administration (MBA), Master’s of Science, or PhD in a related field. In addition, five to seven years of direct research experience is required, as well as demonstrated proficiency in project management, including budgeting, planning, execution, delivery, quality assurance, and reporting.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English and Dari and/or Pashto