Role & Responsibilities:
In this role, the selected candidate will play a key role in leading CMA’s various offerings and tools, primarily in Egypt and the countries of that IFC cluster (which includes Yemen and Libya). He/she will collaborate with IFC Egypt Country Manager and Upstream, Advisory, and Investments staff in the region, as well as World Bank staff, to build and execute reforms that address bottlenecks faced by investors in IFC’s priority sectors, using a variety of WBG tools and offerings. He/she will have a leading role executing critical initiatives of CMA team in the Egypt cluster, and potentially elsewhere in MENA, create new projects and build new opportunities in lines with the WBG/IFC country strategy, and deliver high-quality Advisory engagements to the Government and private sector in client countries. He/she will work closely with key partners, especially, in shaping and executing the WBG/IFC country strategy and delivering high-quality Advisory engagements. In addition to being directly responsible for leading the country dialogue in Egypt, he/she may also be required to lead dialogue and develop programs in Libya, Yemen, and the entire MENA.
The selected candidate will report directly to the Senior Manager, Creating Markets Advisory Services in MENA.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The selected candidate will be in charge of delivering market-creating client solutions by using local and regional resources. In this respect, the focus will be to ensure the existing CMA portfolio is responsive to IFC’s investment priorities, as well as to build new business given the potential market and prioritize client needs, aligned with the IFC business plans for Egypt cluster and beyond, as needed.
Client and Stakeholder Management:
- Provide technical advice to senior-level clients to make the case for investment climate reforms, entrepreneurship, and other private sector-related topics that can unlock investment potential.
- Supervise progress in implementing IFC advisory reforms; develop new business in line with client and market needs.
- Leverage relationships with Government officials, private sector, and World Bank Group staff to design and implement existing or new projects to introduce reforms and support reform implementation.
- Work collaboratively with Investment/Advisory Anchors to align advisory to help build a pipeline of investment projects and dedication to providing solutions to key portfolio clients.
- Engage with the relevant teams at the World Bank and IFC for reforms needed to unlock new markets adopting positive demeanor and work collaboratively with Upstream teams
Design and Operationalization of Solutions:
- Collaborate with regional CMA, industry specialists, as well as with relevant global teams in the identification and design of business environment and investment climate reforms to unlock investment potential and build markets in the Egypt cluster and beyond.
- Review and contribute to the development and approval of relevant project documents and client deliverables to ensure standards and objectives are met.
- Improve the design and delivery of client solutions by incorporating global good practices and lessons from the past. Partner with results team in developing appropriate theories of change and results in frameworks and indicators to strengthen the development impact and sustainability of client solutions and continuously learn from client projects/ engagements.
- Ensure high quality of project supervision and completion documents and provide quality control over client deliverables. Moreover, support clients in implementing recommendations and help troubleshoot as needed.
- Provide cross support to select programs/solutions in other countries in the MENA Region as needed.
- Creation and Sharing of Knowledge and Building Capacity:
- Support peer-to-peer knowledge exchange sessions across the region, lead diagnostics with the client, and solicit AS engagements aligned with IS and country policies.
- Identify and participate in conferences to showcase IFC offerings and value proposition, which includes serving as panelist/ moderator for internal and external events related to the thematic area.
- Conduct research to craft ongoing and future offerings in investment climate reform and develop new tools and mentorship to incorporate internal and external standard methodologies.
- Design and deliver training and communication strategy for Investment and Advisory staff to better enable them to be champions for investment climate reform, and for external partners to generate interest in and understanding of why it is important/ advantageous to businesses, community, and/or economy.
- Drive strengthening the value proposition of Advisory products through embracing new trends and partnerships.
- Oversee/ supervise assigned staff and consultants, and ensure quality control of deliverables and outputs
- Develop technical capabilities of the assigned staff and members of the broader practice group team through mentoring, coaching, structured training program, and by providing on-the-job learning opportunities.
- Resolve resources needed to support projects and ensure efficient/ effective use of resources and lead project budget to ensure efficient use of resources.
- Master’s degree in Business, Economics, Law, and Finance or a closely equivalent, or professional certification (CPA, CFA).
- At least 12 years of meaningful experience in private sector development, with a focus on delivering investment climate reforms in MENA.
- Strong skills and demonstrated path in delivering advisory engagements in the areas of investment climate reforms (economy-wide and sector/industry level) and entrepreneurship.
- Understanding of IFC products/ instruments and where there are opportunities for cross-organizational collaboration. Proven expertise working on IFC and WBG and a good understanding of how to initiate collaborative efforts to maximize its products and instruments will be an advantage.
- Understand the implications of different policy and regulatory frameworks governing the thematic areas.
- Able to design, be results-oriented to lead efforts, and develop client offerings that reflect in-depth knowledge of thematic area and realization of the business case for how thematic focus will help clients to improve their business.
- Able to identify how changes in markets, business climate, regulations, or the emergence of new successful progressives may create new opportunities for IFC to accelerate its directive in a thematic area.
- Able to innovate researches and analytical projects or a major portion of complex projects to credibly produce a new understanding of a thematic issue and/or potential opportunities to unlock new markets or new streams of business.
- Ability to conceptualize and lead analytical projects that could ultimately lead to the opening of new markets and/or reframe thinking on thematic approaches to better meet IFC and WBG mandates.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, presentation abilities, and interpersonal skills plus fluency in English are required. Fluency in Arabic would be an added advantage.