Senior Program Officer
Search For Common Ground, Yangon, Myanmar
Closing Date for Applications:
The Senior Program Officer provides technical assistance and facilitates grants and finance management, supporting Project Managers and Head of Programs in coordinating and implementing high quality country office programs. In particular, the Program Associate/Senior Program Officer will support the Head of Programs and Project Managers to effectively follow Search and donor policies and procedures regarding grant implementation, from start-up to close-down. This involves monitoring and reporting, budget and compliance oversight, quality programming, and where appropriate, engagement with donors. The Program Associate/Senior Program Officer will aim to build and strengthen the capacity of national program implementation at Search and with partner staff in-country.
Search for Common Ground (Search)
- Search is the world’s largest and oldest international non-profit peacebuilding organization, which promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict—away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. Established in 1982, Search today has more than 900 committed staff worldwide and implements projects in more than 35 countries across the globe.
- In Myanmar, Search has been working since 2014 to support locally led processes at different levels of society in order to transform approaches to dealing with conflict. Search Myanmar has been supporting an inclusive peace process at the local level, and skills building and trust building with and between a multitude of stakeholders, including government, the private sector, the media, and civil society including women, youth and minorities. Search Myanmar works with local partners across six states and three regions to support Myanmar in its priorities of peace, development and democratic change.
- Search Myanmar is at an exciting stage and is reaching a new level of growth, scaling up its programmatic work, team, office and operations to support its strategy in the country to support Myanmar in its priorities of peace, development and democratic change.
Project implementation & compliance
- Coordinates and supports Search Project Managers with full grants start-up and close-out procedures and protocols, and documents lessons learned in the course of implementation.
- Conducts on-boarding of new program staff and familiarizes them with the donor and internal rules as regulations on grants management.
- Ensures projects follow Search and donor accountability and accountability standards, and is available for advice regarding donor compliance
- Supports the effective tracking and forecasting of project expenditures by the project team through BVA meetings, in line with the approved budget and work plan for both Search and partners.
- Supports Project Managers with costed work plans, ensuring they are regularly updated and utilized. Proactively supports needs for no-cost extensions, budget realignments, or other budgetary changes.
- Participates in reflection sessions and discussions on adaptation. Facilitates support for technical assistance where appropriate. Ensures lessons learnt are well documented and disseminated for better program implementation in future, in line with best practice in reflective practice and adaptive management.
- Coordinates the Programs team as well as country communication teams in highlighting and documenting success stories.
- Develops sub-award/third party contracts and ensures all required documents and processes are completed to facilitate final sign off
- When necessary, travels internationally to support complex and/or high risk project start ups and close out processes
- Identify project and grants management capacity needs and develop the capacity of staff in quality project implementation
- Train and mentor project staff on effective project planning and management; establish and maintain excellent and supportive working relationships among staff
- Initiates brainstorming or problem-solving meetings. With time in job, develops skills for analyzing and communicating program successes and failures; reports lessons learned to the team and other members.
Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Collaborates with Project Managers in the preparation of timely and quality project reports for donors in compliance with donor and internal Search requirements.
- Reviews and copy-edits narrative donor reports
- Ensure accurate quality narrative and financial reports are submitted in a timely manner and according to donor requirements; work closely with the Project Manager and DME in ensuring that all reports meet donor requirements
- University degree in international development, conflict resolution, project management or related field
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Three (3) to five (5) years of INGO experience in project implementation or management
- Demonstrated track record in project/program implementation, staff and grant management for donors
- Demonstrated experience in program or project design, monitoring, evaluation and report writing
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills and detail-oriented
- Excellent English writing skills, with strong capacity for report writing
- Strong cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Cultural sensitivity and strong interest in dialogue, peacebuilding and conflict transformation
- Proficiency in Myanmar language(s) is an asset