The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The job holder reports to Programme Policy Officer/ Activity Manager 4, with overall supervision of the SO Manager/Head of Programme.
At this level, job holder is responsible for technical work including the planning, implementation and co-ordination of activities that require thorough understanding of programme/project context, issues and ability to apply a range of guidelines/practices. The job holder will independently handle a wide range of specialized programme or policy support activities and may be involved in analytical work. Work performed typically has a substantial impact affecting other parts of the programme.
The job holder demonstrate initiative in the identification and resolution of a wide range of issues/problems, and effectively handle unforeseen situations. The job holder may act as technical focal points in the area of vulnerability assessment and analysis. The job holder’s set objectives, resolve wide-ranging issues and unforeseen problems, supervise and coach a team of support staff within an area of responsibility.
To provide support to policy and programme activities in the implementation of forecast-based financing. To provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet the operation needs of Philippines Country Strategic Plan (CSP).
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within the assigned unit and delegated authority, the Senior Programme Associate (Forecast-based financing) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contribute towards the implementation of the forecast-based financing project in ten provinces throughout the Philippines in coordination with national government, provincial government, UN and civil society organizations
- Provide project management support, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures
- Follow data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained
- Research and analyse policy and operational issues to support senior colleagues in the development of policies, programmes and activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders
- Liaise with internal counterparts to ensure effective collaboration and to monitor ongoing projects
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships towards the institutionalization of the forecast-based financing approach in the Philippine government
- Support capacity building of partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through project management support of learning initiatives
- Provide guidance to support staff, acting as a point of referral and assisting them with analysis and queries
- Perform other related duties as required
OTHER POST REQUIREMENT
The incumbent will contribute to the SO 4, Activity 4, of the Philippines Country Office CSP.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has worked independently and within teams to achieve success.
- Has gained experience in implementing technical programs (i.e. disaster risk reduction, climate change and emergency programming, etc.).
- Has managed implementation of programmes and provided input into designing operations.
- Has experience managing events, partnerships and provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Work Experience: Minimum 3 years of professional experience (with Master’s degree) or 5 years of professional experience (with Bachelor’s degree) in the related field
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language.