Senior Programme Coordinator
International Organization for Migration, Mogadishu, Somalia
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission in Mogadishu, Somalia and in close coordination with relevant departments in the Regional Office in Nairobi and Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing emergency programming with the specific focus of bringing humanitarian programming in line with the nexus by ensuring all emergency interventions are approached with broader durable solutions lens.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Play a lead role in defining and driving the strategic direction of IOM’s programmes in Somalia, particularly focused on emergency response with linkages to recovery and transitional programming and ensuring alignment with Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP), National Development Plan (NDP), and other recovery and development strategies in Somalia.
- Work to ensure that humanitarian action is linked to, and consistent with, the humanitarian development and peace nexus, cluster frameworks, and development programming.
- Support IOM’s engagement in relevant forums by providing strategic and operational input, liaison with donors, and other humanitarian stakeholders, including government, UN and I/NGOs.
- Responsible and accountable for project development, management and implementation of emergency and durable solution programming funded by multiple donors including the private sector, in line with the organization’s policies, standards and operating modalities, as well as donor requirements.
- In collaboration with the Resource Management Unit (RMU), exercise financial oversight responsibility for projects and activities within the EPC remit and support relevant Programme Managers to closely monitor programme expenditures and commitments in line with donor agreements.
- Establish and maintain strong and regular liaison with the project/programme partners, including humanitarian actors, governmental authorities, diplomatic missions, and any other concerned agencies and working groups, aiming at coordinating and promoting new activities and facilitating the implementation of ongoing activities and fund raising for new projects/programmes.
- Represent IOM at various fora and related sub-working groups and clusters, to ensure to the extent possible, alignment with IOM’s global mandate and regional strategy, as well as joint UN and IOM strategies in Somalia; support the CoM to maintain working relationships with local and national government authorities and other institutions in Somalia.
- Supervise, in conformity with IOM standards, the planning and implementation of initiatives aimed at promoting IOM and donor visibility.
- Contribute to the development of IOM Somalia Mission Strategy and Operational Plans; expand and strengthen monitoring and evaluation within the Mission; including technical, budgetary, administrative, and security issues.
- In coordination with the Deputy Chief of Mission, represent the CoM in the UN Country Team, Humanitarian Country Team, as well as other strategic meetings and government-led initiatives if required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law and/or International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex emergency, humanitarian, and transitional programming;
- Proven experience managing a large office in a highly insecure environment;
- Extensive experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities and institutional institutions;
- Experience as Cluster Coordinator, Chair or Co-chair an advantage.
- Demonstrated operations background and ability to identify solutions to complex operational challenges;
- Sound knowledge of programme development, management, and capacity-building methodologies;
- Ability to supervise and lead diverse teams;
- Proven donor liaison and fundraising skills;
- Effective resource management skills.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.