Senior Programme Officer
International Labour Organization, New Delhi, India
Closing Date for Applications:
- This position is located in the Programme Unit in the Decent Work Technical Support Team/Country Office (DWT/CO) New Delhi. This work unit provides programming services for the ILO country office operations in India. Based on the Decent Work Country Programme (DWCP) , biennium workplan is developed and linked to the ILO internal resources and DC funds to implement the technical cooperation activities agreed with the constituents. The unit is responsible to coordinate such activities by closely working with technical resource persons available in the Decent Work Technical Support Team, DC Projects and ILO Technical Units both at the HQs and Regional levels. The unit also maintains key communications with the constituents at the national and state levels and contributes in identifying strategic partnerships with players in the world of work in India.
- As a team member, the incumbent provides comprehensive and professional services in the design, delivery and administration of a wide range of programming activities. These services cover development, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of programmes and projects in a multiplicity of technical areas. Work involves providing professional programming services for the formulation and implementation of Decent Work Country Programmes (DWCPs) in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Country Framework (UNSDCF) to strengthen national capacity and activities in ILO mandated areas. Services are delivered in an efficient, effective and client-oriented manner and include the use of the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. Work is governed by established rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines. The incumbent applies and plays a key role in promoting the principles of results-based management (RBM).
- The position works under the supervision of the Deputy Director, DWT/CO, ILO, New Delhi. The incumbent has a high degree of independence in completing work assignments. Supervision received is focused on the overall delivery of results impacting the Office.
- Internal contacts are with staff and managers in field offices, project locations and headquarters to build and maintain effective working relationships, exchange information and gain agreement on programming related issues. The incumbent also provides guidance on results-based management (RBM) and applicable standards. The incumbent regularly liaises with and receives guidance from the Regional Programming Unit and PROGRAM in HQ.
- External contacts are primarily with government offices at the central and state levels, employers’ and workers’ organizations, United Nations (UN) agencies and other international organizations and donors to maintain effective working relationships and discuss project initiatives and areas for cooperation. The incumbent will manage overall SDG work and liaison with the Niti Aayog. He/She will be responsible for the programatic work with UN, related to the UNCT, UNRCO, UNSDCF, and UNRG6.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide substantial professional programming inputs for the formulation and implementation of the Decent Work Country Programme (DWCP) framework, ensuring alignment with regional and global strategic priorities. Monitor the status of the Office’s work programme and measure and report on performance, including through the strategic use of the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. Monitor and verify accuracy of programming data.
- Monitor and assess country development plans and priorities and make proposals to support the design and setting of objectives within the Decent Work Country Programme (DWCP) framework and stated priorities and outcomes. Stay abreast of the political and socio-economic situation and propose actions in response to new and emerging operational challenges.
- In cooperation with technical specialists, draft substantive inputs for programme framework documents, project proposals, reports and other documents for monitoring and reporting purposes. Initiate, plan and undertake missions to monitor, assess and report on programme implementation and propose corrective action. Assist with the planning and organization of capacity building activities.
- Oversee the work of and provide guidance to staff in concerned programming areas. Supervise staff as applicable. Conduct training in relevant programming areas and provide briefings and induction to new staff.
- Participate in negotiations with key stakeholders to discuss project definition, scope and funding requirements. Prepare and/or review drafts of Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) in cooperation with implementing partners and technical specialists, ensuring consistency with requirements and timelines for project implementation.
- Seek opportunities to build and enhance partnerships with a range of stakeholders. Participate in resource mobilization activities. Organize and participate in meetings to facilitate collaboration between the different actors. Participate in interagency fora and meetings with a view to identifying areas for joint activities.
- Keep abreast of changes to applicable standards and best practices. Share knowledge and provide guidance to staff.
- Monitor the efficiency and effectiveness of work methods and processes and make recommendations for improvements. Liaise closely with staff and managers to ensure effective and smooth service design and delivery, recommending improvements on interrelated processes.
- Provide inputs to support the Office’s communication activities.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
OPTIONAL SECTION (ONLY IF NEEDED)
- University degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in a field relevant to the job.
- Equivalent work experience may be considered in lieu of a University degree in accordance with the table below.
- Minimum of three years of professional work experience in programme and/or project planning, monitoring, implementation and evaluation activities. Experience in working with an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, in particular strategic management/programming modules.
- Excellent command of English. Working knowledge of Hindi.