Senior Scientist-Breeding Informatics (East and Central Africa)
ICRISAT, Hyderabad, India
Closing Date for Applications:
- Lead the planning, development and implementation of an integrated breeding informatics system for ICRISAT, including systems for the efficient acquisition and analysis of genomic and phenotypic data produced by its scientists’ globally.
- Supervise daily activities of programming staff developing and maintaining breeding informatics systems.
- Provide advice and training to ICRISAT and partners scientists in the application and use of breeding informatics tools in the crop improvement programme
- Collaborate with genomics and computational scientsist to develop decision support tools in the area of biometrics and bioinformatics
- Prepare reports and research papers for publication in the reputed journals.
- Develop project proposal for donor funding.
- Represent ICRISAT in internal and external discussions related to the planning, development and implementation of bioinformatics systems.
- PhD or equivalent degree in computational biology/biological science /computer science/bioinformatics/biometrics with at least 5-7 years of post-doctoral experience in the development and use of biometrics and bioinformatics tools and resources in crop improvement.
- Strong background in biology (especially plants), genetics, breeding and genomics is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with Linux, and programming experience in more than three computer languages (e.g. Java/Perl/C) desirable.
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively supervise students, programmers and support staff and ability to work in a multidisciplinary, multi-cultural environment are essential.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential; understanding of French is highly desirable.
- Should have aptitude to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments.
- Willingness to travel globally.
- This is an internationally recruited staff position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars. The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability. An attractive compensation will be offered for the right candidate.
How to apply:
- Applicants should apply on or before 31 January 2015 on-line through internet, using the following Click here, with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
- ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in increasing the participation of women on its staff. ICRISAT has a flexible approach to international appointments and welcomes dual-career couples.