Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Web Technology Specialist is UNHCR¿s expert on web applications development, management and hosting, who will design the technical solutions that meet the Organization¿s requirements, align with its technical direction, are cost effective and are well-maintained.
The Senior Web Technology Specialist reports directly to the Chief of Solution Engineering.
The incumbent is expected to interact laterally with the team¿s technical experts to ensure the web technologies solutions designed and implemented are in alignment and adherence to the relevant technical standards. As a key member of the DIST team, constant engagement with the other DIST Services, including Business Relationship Management, IT Operations, and Customer Support will be part of the daily role. Oversight of web technologies solution development, implementation and support ¿ as carried out by Managed Service Providers ¿ is key to the role. Also, engagement with stakeholders within the Division for External Relations (DER), as well as other business stakeholders, will be critical to ensure a clear understanding of requirements. Finally, the incumbent will also need to maintain close working relationships with technology vendors who provide and support the Organization¿s web technologies and applications.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity
- Advise on web development and hosting, designing the web solutions that meet the dynamic needs of the Organization.
- Design secure, cost-effective web presence and content-management frameworks, which support DIST¿s cloud-first strategy and allow for large-scale content presentation with minimal administrative effort.
- Design and support update strategies for web content, code and management framework, in view of UNHCR¿s hosting platform, managed services agreements and connectivity landscape.
- Develop and maintain web development and hosting policies, procedures, guidelines, and standards which are relevant to UNHCR¿s technical and operational landscape.
- Educate and enable DER and technical colleagues on the above standards; support DER and other Field colleagues in their maintenance and implementation.
- Ensure that UNHCR¿s web applications and sites are performance optimized for high-latency, low-bandwidth connectivity conditions.
- Document explicit and implicit requirements related to web applications working closely with technical and business colleagues to understand and communicate them. Validate requirements with development partners and technology vendors to ensure completeness and technical feasibility.
- Ensure requirements for initial web development and hosting solution development and subsequent changes are clearly documented and maintained over time.
- Plan for and facilitate periodic penetration testing of web applications and content-management frameworks.
- Plan for maintenance and support aspects in the design of web solutions; work with Service Delivery Managers, and Business colleagues to ensure that monitoring and support requirements are well understood and correctly implemented.
- Develop and maintain clear technical documents to help partners support web sites and applications at all levels.
- Develop or oversee the development of test plans to comprehensively test all required features of the web solutions; ensure test plans are successfully completed before releasing new solutions to production.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of comprehensive estimates for the development, licensing and ongoing support of all solutions.
- Review web-related submissions to the Architecture Review Board (ARB) for adherence to standards and best practices; assist the ARB in understanding potential shortcomings of proposed solutions and suggest remediation measures.
- Promote security-centric approaches to web solution development and the adoption of relevant DevSecOps best-practices by developers and administrators.
- Assist the SOC (Security Operations Centre) in establishing monitoring capabilities, baselines, responses, vulnerability scans for UNHCR¿s web sites and applications.
- Assist technical support groups in return-to-green efforts during major incidents.
- Develop technical roadmaps that are aligned with business requirements, observed trends and the strategic technical direction of UNHCR.
- Ensure that UNHCR¿s Project-Management Life Cycle (PMLC) is understood by technical partners and followed for all web technology related projects.
- Stay current with new internet/intranet technologies and software products and directs DIST and Business colleagues towards the latest best practices.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P4 - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
- Computer Engineering; Computer Science; Data Science;
- Electric Engineering; Engineering; Information and Communication Technology;
- Information Systems; Information Technology; Telecommunication;
- Web design; Web Technologies; or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
- ITIL V3 Foundation Level; Microsoft Tech Specialist; Information Management;
- Information Technology; MS Certified Technology Spec; MS Certified Solutions Expert;
- Computer Science; Change/Release/Test Mgmt Trng.
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- At least 9 years (7 years with advanced university degree) of experience in information technology, of which 7 should be in designing and implementing enterprise-grade network solutions.
- Demonstrated experience driving web technology solutions from design to implementation, leveraging cross-functional teams comprised of staff, vendors, system integrators, outsourced partners, and contractors across multiple locations.
- Proven success in designing web-presence standards for large organizations.
- Strong familiarity with web applications security threats, such as cross-site scripting, SQL injections, arbitrary code execution, etc. and best-practices for their prevention.
- Experience with web content management technologies, especially Drupal and WordPress.
- Experience with back-end technologies: common web servers (Apache, IIS, etc), back-end development languages and frameworks, e.g. PHP, Symfony, Node.JS, etc., as well as SQL and NoSQL databases, such as MySQL and MongoDB.
- Broad knowledge of Microsoft Enterprise products, technologies and services.
- Strong familiarity with ITIL concepts.
- Experience with automated testing tools and techniques, including oversight of test plans and test matrices, project plans and scope and design documents.
- Proven ability to document business and functional requirements using industry standard and generally accepted modelling methods using standard tools.
- Experience working with outsourced providers in delivering services based on service level agreements.
- Experience resolving problems, responding to and completing audit recommendations and actions.
- Strong verbal communications and executive-level presentation skills.
- Knowledge of systems and processes within UNHCR, especially principal web presence, WAN, and Refugee Systems technologies.
- Expertise with BI tools for reporting, such as Microsoft Power BI.
- AWS and Azure web optimization technologies such as Redis cache.
- Familiarity with UNHCR¿s Data Protection Policy and related GDPR concepts.
- IT-Computer Literacy*;
- IT-IT Network Monitoring & Alerting Tools*;
- IT-IT Applications Development Lifecycle Methodology*;
- IT-IT Systems and Standards*;
- IT-IT Solution Engineering*;
- IT-Web Server Technology*;
- IT-IT Security Management*;
- IT-Web Application Development*;
- IT-IT Support*;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.