The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 8,000 employees and also 8,000 volunteers, while managing a turnover of over 400 million Euro. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization. The Danish Refugee Council is Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO and has been ranked the 3rd best NGO in the world in 2018 (for the six consecutive years, the organization is among the top five of the NGO Advisor Annual List).
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for its sites in North Greece as Site Operations Officer. Under the supervision of the Site Management Support Team Leader and the technical management of the Site Management Support Manager, the Site Operations Officer will provide overall support to DRC’s day-to-day operations in assigned sites in Northern Greece, ensuring high quality implementation of all DRC activities related to site care and maintenance as well as infrastructure improvement works.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Ensure the daily, timely and efficient implementation of Care and Maintenance, repair and other technical activities in the assigned site (in extreme cases it might be more than one);
- Monitoring all active Framework Agreements and report in case of any gap emerged;
- Monitoring and reporting all infrastructure and technical aspects at a site level on daily basis;
- Being in charge of the warehousing systems at site level;
- Reception of all site deliveries and drafting of all relevant documentation;
- Oversee activities of contractors on the assigned site to ensure smooth, reliable and effective implementation of any construction or maintenance works undertaken by DRC;
- Strive for cost efficiency and sustainable solutions;
- Liaising with the Logistics and Procurement department to ensure timely delivery of project materials and execution of services/works on site;
- Coordinating with other departments about the technical issues at site level;
- Lead daily monitoring of the condition, functioning and safety of on-site facilities.
- Manage and supervise the maintenance work of the handymen, develop daily work plans, ensure the adequacy and quality of the needed equipment and materials, and monitor the quality of their work.
- Identify operational priorities by assessing and determining project objectives, such as, time and cost efficiency, energy conservation, operational convenience, health and safety, environmental preservation;
- Develop care and maintenance solutions which are contextually and culturally relevant, cost effective, and in compliance with Greek and global humanitarian and environmental standards and best practices.
- Participate in regular coordinating meetings with other DRC staff regarding scheduled works and initiatives and work closely with sector-specific technical advisors to ensure integration between Site Operations and other sectors.
- Represent DRC in coordination meetings as required;
- Supervise the field Site Ops team on the assigned site (assistants, technical staff, cleaners) in order to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of DRC policies and procedures;
- Reporting site activities to the SMS Team Leader and Manager on daily basis
Support supervisors and managers in:
- establishing and maintaining an efficient warehousing system, compliant with DRC regulations, to ensure adequate storage, inventory and tracking of project materials;
- the identification of local suppliers and contractors, in line with DRC procedures and donor requirements, to ensure efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of resources;
- the drafting of detailed SOPs for relevant operational activities, relevant technical reports and assessments for internal and external use;
- Proactively refer any identified gaps to relevant forums and support advocacy to relevant authorities or humanitarian actors for additional support
- Develop and maintain communication channels with the local authorities as well as good working relations with other humanitarian actors
- Promote a participatory approach to site management and service provision in the site of his/her duty
- Support smooth functioning in the production and dissemination of various communications tools for the persons of concern, based on agreed key messages
- Contribute to program standardization and sharing of experiences, lessons learned, and good practices to inform future interventions
- Provide inputs for internal and donor reporting, as necessary; ensure the use of qualitative and quantitative indicators and prepare accurate and timely reports on project progress
- On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the line manager to allow the DRC North program to function optimally.
Qualifications (required and desired)
- University degree in a related engineering field (preferable with electro/mechanical, civil engineering, architecture background) is required
- Excellent verbal and writing Greek skills are required
- Very good working knowledge of English is required
- Strong computer skills, especially regarding the use of MS Office and AutoCAD is required
- Previous working experience in relevant field, especially with local or international NGOs, will be considered as desired
- Studies or working experience in Project Management will be desired
- Driving license would be desired
Required Skills and Qualities
Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to adjust, interact and maintain good working relationships at field level in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, and dynamic working environment
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners, and nationalities
- Flexible, enthusiastic, and willing to learn from others
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with heavy and stressful workload, identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances;
- Provide translation/interpretation as necessary;
- Actively contribute to the implementation of measures to minimize negative environmental impact;
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct through activity implementation;
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
Terms & Conditions
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in the broader area of Thessaloniki (North Greece) and national terms and conditions apply