OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The Department of Information Management and Technology has an operational and strategic role. On the one hand, the department provides relevant, quality, reliable, and cost effective IT services in order for the Organization to achieve its health mandate. On the other hand, it aims to be a strategic enabler for WHO by creating partnerships with business units (administrative and health technical), capturing business needs, establishing and managing projects to address these requirements. The work of the department is categorized under the WHO's programme of Corporate services and enabling functions (Category 6) with specific focus on Effective management and administration established across the organization (6.4).
Global IT Operations (GIO) team provides user and system support with staff based in Kuala Lumpur. The team is composed of 4 sub-teams: Global Service Desk, Application Development, Corporate Systems Support and Infrastructure and Shared Services. These teams empower and assist WHO staff globally to perform their functions effectively and efficiently. They also provide application development and support for technical and administrative units. Finally they monitor the infrastructure to ensure the systems are always available and initiate remedial actions in case of service failures.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Provide technical assistance and advice on complex activities
- Formulate specifications, develop/modify/maintain complex systems and subsystems
- Monitor system performance to ensure adequate resources (hardware, software and communications) are available to meet user requirements
- Evaluate, tune, and load balance new and existing system software recommending changes to improve efficiency and/or functionality
- Review task proposal requirements, gather information, analyze data, prepare project synopses, compare alternatives, prepare specifications, resolve processing problems, coordinate work with engineers, and orient users to new systems
- Prepare recommendations for system improvement for management and user consideration
- Maintain effective communication with the Global Service Desk to resolve user issues and improve processes
- Monitor support response times and perform root cause analysis to identify deficiencies
- Assure the quality of developed components and adherence to common standards and framework
- Create test plans and perform testing
- Provide and maintain technical documentation
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential: A first university degree in computer science, engineering, information management, or related discipline.
- A Microsoft certification of MCP or MCTS, ITIL certification, PRINCE2 or another Project Management certification.
- For WHO staff please see e-Manual III.4.1, para 220.
Essential: At least 2 years of position-relevant experience in open source web application development and support.
- Experience with MySQL Stored procedure.
- Experience with version control system (SVN / GIT).
- Experience working in a geographically distributed virtual team environment and able to build relationship with other team members.
- Knowledge of web application architecture and infrastructure.
- Experience in end user support and customer relationship management.
- Practical experience in IT service delivery and IT service level management.
- Proven developer knowledge in Open Source Technologies running on LAMP stack (including Drupal, other CMS, Limesurvey, or other FOSS products).
- Solid knowledge of software and user support, as well as Web application support.
- Solid knowledge of Data Base Management Systems and SQL programming tools such as TransactSQL, PL/SQL,MS Access.
- Committed to quality and good customer orientation, good interpersonal skills, a willingness to help others.
- Excellent communication skills in a Customer Service Environment.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Beginners knowledge of French.
REMUNERATION: Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at MYR 122,690 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.