Spotlight Communications Officer
United Nations Volunteers, Suva, Fiji
Closing Date for Applications:
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Spotlight Initiative Coordinator for the Pacific Regional Programme and the Vanuatu Country Programme, and in close coordination with the respective Technical Coherence Leads and RUNOs, the consultant will lead the development and implementation of the Spotlight communications and visibility strategy and action plan in close collaboration with Spotlight Team Colleagues, the EU/EC Pacific Communications Team, Civil Society Organisations, national entities and CROP agencies. This includes but is not limited to:
- Lead the development of comprehensive and realistic communication and visibility plans and strategies, as per global Spotlight Visibility Guidelines;
- Track progress against established work plans and outputs;
- Coordinate the implementation of visibility, communications, and outreach activities with recipient UN agencies and other partners, ensuring compliance with Spotlight Initiative communications guidelines and that all Spotlight Initiative programming and activities are appropriated managed, branded, and communicated;
- In close liaison with Spotlight colleagues based in the Recipient UN Agencies ensure regional and country context-appropriate communication and visibility;
- Manage, evaluate, and implement high impact Spotlight communications’ product and design and maintain a digital presence, including robust social media footprint for the Spotlight Initiative;
- Identify and compile success stories and programme achievements and manage knowledge sharing among recipient UN agencies;
- Ensure wide dissemination and visibility of programme achievements;
- Manage contracts with consultancies and vendors related to Spotlight communication and external relations;
- Develop and support relationships with members of the media;
- Write and/or disseminate press releases, policy briefs, pamphlets, web stories, talking points, speeches, editorials, branded materials, and other written communications materials;
- Provide input and support to Spotlight narrative reporting processes;
- Support the preparation, implementation, and follow-up of Steering Committee meetings, other high-level events, training, and workshops related to the Spotlight Programme;
- Provide communications and advocacy support to joint national campaigns, launching initiatives, and publications with a focus on Spotlight;
- Establish a platform for the sharing of knowledge and communications to ensure the highest level of coordination and standardised best practices, including proactive communications with civil society reference groups and partners;
- Support the linkages between multi-country and single country levels and, together with diverse partners;
- Foster partnership with government, civil society, NGOs, development partners and UN agencies;
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public information or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Required experience: 60 Months
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public information or related area is required.
- Two years of experience in developing and implementing strategic, multimedia, and public information campaigns for a diverse audience is required.
- Two years of experience interacting with and managing relations with the media is required
- Experience working with digital communication platforms in an official capacity, including on content creation, audience engagement and results in monitoring is desirable.
- Experience with inter-agency or inter-organizational collaboration in the development sector is desirable.
- Experience managing resources, including personnel and budget, to support communications and advocacy activities, is desirable.
- Experience working in the political, social and economic context of the region of responsibility is desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- Spanish(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge