About the Organization
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations global development network. They promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations and advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. The UNDP provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. UNDP works with nations on their own solutions to global and national development challenges. As they develop local capacity, they draw on the people of UNDP and its wide range of partners. However UNDP offers to help only if the different nations request it to do so.
UNDP is currently working in various areas concerning sustainable development, from systems and institutional strengthening to inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods, as well as sustainable energy, environment and resilience. The Climate Change, Resilience and Energy portfolio at UNDP is organized around the thematic areas of climate change adaptation and mitigation; disaster management and resilience; and access to clean and efficient energy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following duties:-
- Establish linkages and work in close coordination with the National Project Manager. Assist the National Project Manager in planning, implementation, supervision, monitoring and evaluation of all the project activities in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- Foster partnerships with key state government and relevant technical institutions working on rural development and climate change issues in Madhya Pradesh.
- Prepare detailed workplans for the State, outlining key activities, deliverables and their timelines for the State PMU.
- Based on the overall project annual workplan, develop state specific annual work plans and ensure accurate and timely reporting to UNDP and DFID for activities of the project in Madhya Pradesh;
- Provide information and inputs for developing Terms of reference for consultants/ consultancy firms to be hired to undertake project activities;
- Commission activities like research studies, state level assessments training workshops etc. and manage the operational aspects of procurement, event management, logistics etc. in coordination with UNDP;
- Identify capacity development needs of implementing partners and arrange for necessary trainings.
- Coordinate with national team and other state teams under the project to share lessons and experiences
- Manage and track contracts with project partners and flag any potential risks and suggest its mitigation measures. Ensure timely contract management and payments;
- Undertake review meetings with partners and field visits to track progress made in implementation of the project and take corrective action as required;
- Review quality and consistency of reports and deliverables by partner institutions/ responsible parties including financial reports from all project partners,
- Regular financial management and reporting as per the UNDP financial guidelines; Ensure effective financial management and reporting as per the UNDP financial guidelines;
- Prepare quarterly project progress reports, provide necessary information and inputs for preparing presentations and other documents for project steering committee and review meetings as required by National Project Manager;
- Facilitate and participate in the periodic review meetings and discussions related to project implementation, monitoring and follow-up;
- Supervise the work of team members or consultants, as may be recruited under the Project at the state level;
- Any other responsibility related to the project assigned by the National Project Manager.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree from a recognised institution in Rural Development/ Environmental Studies/ Natural Resource Management/ Social Science/ Public Policy.
- At least 5 years of programme / project management experience.
- At least 8 years of relevant post Masters experience of development programmes on environment like natural resource management, watershed programmes, etc.
- Experience on climate change programmes would be as asset
- Outstanding communication, project management and organisation skills
- Experience of working with Central and / or State Governments on similar assignments will be preferred.
- Familiarity with the working environment and professional standards of international organisations and national and state governments
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems is essential.
- Fluency in English and Hindi (read, write, and speak) is mandatory.