UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
2020 was a milestone year for gender equality. It marked the 25th anniversary of the Fourth World Conference on Women and the adoption of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action (1995) (Beijing+25), the 20th anniversary of UN Security Council resolution 1325 on Women and Peace and Security, and the 5th anniversary of the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (2030 Agenda) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Generation Equality Forum is a civil society-led, global gathering for gender equality, convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the governments of Mexico (March 2021) and France (June 2021). This global gathering will bring actors together, especially young people, Civil Society Organizations, Business Leaders, Philanthropic Organizations Leaders and International Organizations to chart forward a fresh and bold feminist agenda, one of the central objectives of the Forum. Similarly, the Forum seeks to bring together a group of Allied Member States to create a multilateral gender-progressive partnership.
Action Coalitions reflect another objective of the Generation Equality Forum: to achieve tangible results
on gender equality during the UN Decade of Action (2020-2030) in order to deliver the Sustainable Development Goals. Generation Equality seeks to advance an extraordinary agenda, both in approach and level of ambition, to accelerate progress on gender equality across the world through a new innovative multi stakeholder partnership approach.
Under the direct supervision of the PPID Director/ Co-Lead Action Coalitions and in close collaboration with the UN Women Executive Coordinator for the Generation Equality Forum, and the Chief of MPES, the Strategic Partnership Specialist, Private Sector and Philanthropy, will be responsible for the planning, engagement, mobilization and management of the relationships with the private sector and philanthropic partners for all the six Action Coalitions and its Secretariat.
Duties and Responsibilities
Lead the engagement and commitment of private sector and philanthropic partners for the launch of the GEF Action Coalitions:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Action Coalition Partnership Strategy for Philanthropic Organizations and Private Sector companies with the objective to advance strategic partnership engagement and multiyear commitments for each of the six Action Coalitions.
- Review and refine the strategy at regular intervals to harness new emerging opportunities, to anticipate changes to the internal direction and external environment, and to make course-corrections and mid-term adjustments.
- Liaise and coordinate with the Action Coalitions Leads and Chief Programme and Policy Bureau to help package and define Action Coalitions case for support and differentiated value proposition to engage private sector support of core and non-core initiatives;
- Design and execute innovative global strategy with targeted tech companies in collaboration with the Action Coalition thematic Lead on Innovation and Technology
- Provide technical contributions to the formulation of the plan, programme of work and budget of the Action Coalition Secretariat.
Lead the resource mobilization strategy for the Action Coalition Secretariat:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Action Coalition Secretariat public-private Funding strategy/model with the objective to raise sustainable funding in 2021 for five years of the AC model
- Manage the main funding partners (philanthropic Organizations) of the Action Coalitions Secretariat, ensuring donor reporting and strategic updates.
- Build an organization-wide approach to advance and secure resources for the GEF Action Coalitions over five years: Provide strategic guidance and update to UN Women SPD/MPES, regional and Liaison offices to develop and implement locally tailored engagement and commitment plan for the Action Coalitions.
- Provide substantive contributions to the development of the 5-year vision and accountability framework for the Action Coalitions.
- Leverage UN Women’s existing private sector network where possible.
Manage relationships and activities with private sector and philanthropic partners for the implementation of the GEF Action Coalitions:
- Develop and maintain relations with senior officials of private sector and philanthropic members and leaders of the Actions Coalitions and ensure timely response to requests for information.
- Facilitate and build relationships between private sector and philanthropic partners and leaders from governments, UN agencies, CSOs and youth networks.
- Negotiate and network with private sector and philanthropic partners the delivery of the commitments and pledges announced at the Generation Equality Forum in 2021 and throughout the implementation period of Generation Equality (2026), to build strategic alliances relevant to the Coalitions’ mandates
- Lead or participate in the identification of new or emerging issues of potential concern for the implementation of the action coalitions and design risk mitigation strategies and concrete solutions with partners to address them.
Provide technical inputs to the role out of the Action coalition, with the focus on strategic partnerships:
- Provide substantive contributions to the strategic positioning of philanthropic and private sector partners within the Operational Model of the Generation Equality Action Coalitions (both as leaders and as Commitment-Makers/members).
- Lead or technically contribute to the formulation, organization and management of Action Coalitions workplans, to ensure full participation and support from private sector and philanthropic partners.
- Prepare speeches, briefing notes and talking points for senior staff and make presentations on the implementation of the Action Coalitions and the contribution of private sector and philanthropic partners.
- Lead or technically contribute to the design of advocacy initiatives, events and campaigns to promote the actions coalitions and ensure high level representation of private sector and philanthropic.
Participate in, coordinate and manage knowledge exchange and dissemination:
- Participate in country regional, global practice network on coordination, sharing and learning best practices related to Generation Equality to keep abreast of and/or to contribute to ongoing debates and strategic thinking and to exchange experience and/or seek support on coordination issues affecting UN Women and UN system programs and operations.
- Manage the development, maintenance and sharing of knowledge and intelligence, to ensure UN Women is informed and positioned to effectively generate and harness opportunities to meet its resource mobilization targets.
- Work across UN Women’s private sector efforts (MPES) to ensure coherence and alignment with the core mandate and corporate prioritization of Generation Equality.
- Manage the development of high-quality information and knowledge materials.
- Guide and support UN Women National Committees team members with regard to philanthropic and private sector engagement;
- Provide feedback to the Secretariat to ensure that results and lessons learned feed into the progress report.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Philanthropic and private sector strategy in place for GEF Action Coalitions.
- Secure Philanthropic Organizations Leaders commitments (including financial) to each of the Action Coalitions to be announced at the GEF Paris Forum and secure business leaders’ commitments.
- Effective partnership of Business members interest in joining the Actions Coalitions as Commitment Makers and secure their financial commitments to each of the Action Coalitions to be announced at the GEF Paris Forum summer 2021.
- Effective Management of Action Coalitions Secretariat existing donors.
- Timely and quality management of contractual agreements/negotiations with selected leads and members sector partners in line with UN Women’s rules and regulations.
- Quality communication and advocacy products which result in increased public private partner engagement.
- Quality knowledge products and timely sharing of best practices to improve/ enhance donor relations.
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women's rights issues;
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with global Philanthropic Organizations and Private Sector. (donor and programme);
- managing multi-stakeholder partnerships, dealing with different constituencies, including governments, youth networks and CSO
- Affinity with UN Women’s mandate on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Excellent written/oral communication skills with data analysis and donor reporting;
- Proven networking skills, and ability to mobilize support on behalf of UN Women;
- Strong negotiating and coordination skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with inter-governmental processes;
- Strong IT skills, including databases, extranet and office software packages;
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability to identify, cultivate and secure partnerships along a spectrum of opportunities;
- Ability to drive new business and builds strong relationships with client and external actors;
- Strong understanding of shared value partnerships and impact investing.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in international relations, international economics, or other related social sciences.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of experience working with large and global Philanthropic Organizations and Private Sector or UN.
- Experience in managing multi-stakeholder partnerships, dealing with different constituencies, including governments, youth networks and CSOs.
- Experience in developing public-private partnership, advocacy and resource mobilization strategies related to gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Experience in fundraising from philanthropic organizations (and private sector).
- Previous experience with a multilateral or UN organization is a strong asset.
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of French or Spanish would be a strong asset.