UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Through the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP) in Bangkok and a number of country (COs) and multi-country offices (MCOS) as well as programme Offices (POs) across the region, UN Women builds on a long history of support to governments, civil society and other actors to deliver for women and girls. We advocate for and enhance accountability to enhance women’s political participation and prevent and respond effectively to violence against women. Our economic empowerment programmes seek greater economic security and rights particularly for marginalized groups of women. Other programmes in Asia and the Pacific involve partnering with women in their efforts to engage in peace and reconstruction efforts, and push for gender equality (GE) provisions integral to preparing for, mitigating and responding to disasters and emergencies. To bolster gender-responsive budgeting and public planning, we assist efforts to monitor the different impacts of budget and policy choices on women and men and to mainstream gender considerations across sectors.
Reporting to Head of Partnerships and Resource Mobilization, the Strategic Partnerships Intern works with the members of the Partnerships & Resource Mobilization, Advocacy and Communications (PRMAC) unit. The Intern will focus on supporting the Head of unit in building partnerships with bilateral partners (traditional donors) as well as private sector entities, with matrix reporting to team members working on the Private Sector portfolio. The assignment will also include working with regional office and country office colleagues on various initiatives related to resource mobilization as well as capacity building.
Duties and Responsibilities
Description of Responsibilities
- Conducting research in support of partnership-building efforts, particularly to diversify the bilateral partner donor base and private sector prospects. Specific deliverables include:
- Research for bilateral partner proposals / opportunities package
- Research on private sector prospects (Companies and HNWI’s/UHNWI’s) to support prospect meetings and pipeline development
- Support on extensive donor mapping and analyses for both bilateral partners and the private sector
- Creating outreach materials and donor reports for potential partners and donors;
- Supporting due diligence procedures;
- Supporting research for high-level visits and bi-lateral meetings, especially those involving Regional Senior Leadership;
- Supporting the logistics and coordination of the Gender Equality Partners Coordination Group Meetings.
- Develop strong analytical and research skills.
- Hone oral and written communication skills, both for briefing papers and Power Point presentations.
- Develop ability to synthesize large amounts of data and information into concise briefing papers, reports or presentations.
- Develop relationship-building skills and capacity to work with senior managers and high-level officials.
- Develop new digital skills through learning and using new digital applications and tools.
- Gain knowledge and understanding of UN Women’s thematic areas / programmatic priorities in the Asia Pacific region.
Required Skills and Experience
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: International Development, International Relations, Human Rights, Gender Studies, Public Administration, Business Administration or other relevant subjects is required.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.