Peace and Security Cluster
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. It is led by the Director, who has overall authority and accountability for the performance PSC on behalf of its clients. The Director is responsible for administering and providing oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations.
Background Information - Job-specific
- Mali is facing a problem of weapons and explosive hazard contamination as a result of protracted and recent armed conflicts. The presence of explosive remnants of war (ERW), improvised explosive devices (IED) and insecure stockpiles of weapons and ammunition (obsolete, abandoned or neglected), poses a serious threat to civilians as well as to United Nations and humanitarian personnel operating in the country.
- UNMAS deployed to Mali in January 2013 to conduct an emergency assessment of the situation with regard to explosive threats. In July 2013, the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) was established under Security Council resolution 2100 and is currently operating under Security Council Resolution 2480 (2019)). In accordance with these mandates, the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) has engaged UNOPS PSC to implement a mine action programme in Mali to:
- Improve the protection of civilians and facilitate humanitarian assistance;
- Enhance national capacity to mitigate explosive threats and enable compliance with international treaty obligations;
- Reduce the explosive threat to MINUSMA and United Nations personnel.
Under the direct supervision of the Support Services Officer (SSO), Gao, the Support Services Senior Assistant is responsible for the transparent and efficient provision of support services to the Regional Area Offices of UNMAS Mali, including administration, travel, HR and finance. The functional responsibilities include:
Administration and Travel
- Assist in the organization of meetings, conferences, visits etc;
- Process travel request, accommodation and visa request;
- Conduct filing on Box Online Server in accordance with SOP with respect to all HR, travel and finance documents;
- Assist in the provision of a wide-range of HR services related to HR Advice, monitoring of leave, monitoring Rest and Recreation entitlements, managing Identity Cards, induction and separations and other HR related issues;
- Monitor Attendance Record Cards and ensure they are correct and submitted on a monthly basis;
- Prepare and submit on a regular basis information for the monthly batch payroll for Rest and Recreation and Danger Pay;
- Create supplier profiles in oneUNOPS and maintain the UNMAS Mali supplier data base for region;
- Review and verify petty cash account including correct security of money, issue of money only for authorised activities, correct filing of receipts, maintenance of Petty Cash ledger, monthly reconciliation and request for replenishments;
- Assist in the presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required;
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations;
- Run remittance cycle, creation of remittance advices to be sent to the bank and issuance of checks;
- Support the SSO in monitoring the movement of equipment within the country
- Ensure all asset movements are notified to the North Log Team
- Assist with the management of programme assets including regular stocktaking in accordance with SOP, regular serviceability inspections and recommendations for disposal
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in Management, Human Resources, Finance, Administration or similar field with a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience;
- or Secondary School with a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in either Procurement, Finance, Human Resources, Administration, or Logistics
- Experience in travel management is highly desired
- Experience in MS Office is highly desired
- Experience in petty cash management is desired
- Fluent written and spoken French is required.
- Intermediate written and spoken English is required.