Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
- Provide technical leadership of Education Sector Group (SG) and, in collaboration with the SG Chair, Operations Heads of Departments and Sector Directors, develop and maintain sector policies, strategies, operational plans, and directional papers to guide bank-wide work and ensure alignment with ADB’s Strategy 2020, and oversee preparation and implementation of Education SG work plan. Ensure consistency of Education Sector policy, strategy and operational plan implementation. Work with complex issues and guide others in resolving complex problems with high levels of risk.
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Lead, establish and cascade the Education Sector operations plan in support of ADB’s Strategy 2020.
- Provide leadership in all Education SG technical and operational matters, in close collaboration with SG steering committee, taking the lead in contributing new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues.
- Facilitate effective internal communication and foster an SG environment conducive to achieving high staff morale and motivation.
Strategic Operations Support
- Develop and maintain sector policies, strategies, operational plans, and directional papers. Monitor operations trends against the directions set out by these corporate documents.
- Foster and drive innovation, thought leadership and future looking Bank-wide initiatives to help develop future business.
- Organize peer review for CPS, sector assessments, and projects and provide advice on project implementation issues to ensure high impact solutions and outcomes.
- Prepare and implement Education SG work plan in consultation with SG Chair, Operations Heads of Department and sector directors.
- Monitor quality assurance, including reporting to Operations Vice Presidents on work plan progress and advising on critical issues.
- Work in partnership with other SGs and TGs, in order to find collaborative solutions to complex development challenges.
Knowledge Management and Knowledge Sharing
- Promote best practices and knowledge, by bringing in global/regional best practices to ADB and promoting ADB’s best practice externally. Identify and develop knowledge in new emerging areas and develop flagship events, studies and publications to produce seminal knowledge as the basis for future operations.
- Promote innovative and cross-cutting research, as well as the dissemination of technical knowledge and learning.
- Provide corporate knowledge support, including reporting, briefing papers, speeches, and support to corporate initiatives.
- Ensure timely flow and capture of knowledge and expertise so that clients receive the highest quality support and knowledge they need, when and where they need it.
- Ensure Education SG remains at the forefront of the global development debate on regional issues
- Lead and facilitate effective Education SG coordination and cooperation with other SGs and TGs, departments and internal stakeholders.
- Drive and inspire technical excellence within the Education SG by creating an environment of learning and innovation.
- Manage budget and resource allocations of the Education SG.
Human Resource and Talent Management
- Contribute to the recruitment and talent management of technical staff across the Bank.
- Facilitate (in collaboration with Operations VPs) interdepartmental mobilization of staff resources as required, including identifying projects/programs which require interdepartmental teams.
- Manage global/regional partnerships (donors, private sector, academia, CSO and development community).
- Work with Office of Cofinancing in influencing the mobilization of external co-financing (grants, investments, and concessional loans) and manage relevant financing partnership facilities.
- Lead collaboration across ADB and with partners drawing on robust professional networks.
- Manage the performance of staff providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to staff and ensure their on-going learning and development.
- Master's degree, or equivalent, in Education or related fields. University degree combined with significant specialized experience in similar organization/s, will be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Significant relevant experience within the education and related sector at senior levels
- Experience working in diverse multi-cultural environments
- International experience working in several countries
- Proven ability to act as a trusted, strategic advisor, partnering with clients to deliver results
- Proven ability to influence the design and execution of major policy initiatives, and promote innovations in project design and management
- Demonstrated organizational cross-cutting skills (e.g. collaboration, mentoring, innovation)
- Demonstrated experience working across boundaries and with complex multiple stakeholders
- Has a track record of conducting effective policy dialogue with country partners
- Proven ability to effectively implement complex change management initiatives
- Recognized externally as a technical expert and leader in the specific sector within the Asia Pacific region
- Demonstrated deep technical knowledge and expertise, with a track record of successfully applying it to achieve development results
People and Leadership Skills
- Proven management capability and well-established leadership track record
- Able to manage and motivate staff performance and career development in a diverse workforce, as well as establish a constructive work environment to maximize staff engagement and optimize staff potential
- Excellent diplomacy, coordination, liaison, interpersonal and team working skills
- Be a role model of ADB’s core values to team members
- Act as a mentor to team members, providing guidance
- Act as a coach to develop capabilities/potential of staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English