Purpose of the Job
Under the direct supervision of the Regional ECD Manager, the individual consultant will develop and write a technical guide and operational tools on Early Childhood Education and Sustainability. The purpose of these documents is to inform UNICEF LACRO’s strategy on ECE and Early Learning, as well as to provide technical support to Country Offices and Pre-primary Workforce across the region.
In particular, the technical guide will provide conceptual elements and a framework that clearly links ECE with sustainability, including why it is important to work with young children to raise awareness of climate change, care for the environment, and skills needed for a sustainable world.
The operational tools, will consider the roles that the following main aspects of ECE/Early Learning play in sustainability, offer concrete recommendations and clear indications of potential interventions for each factor, as well as how these categories contribute to quality ECD/Early Learning Programmes: i. Curriculum ii. Teachers/ECD facilitators (qualifications, competencies, training) iii. Learning environment (structural and process features) iv. Families and communities v. Other significant aspects/factors.
- Develop a technical guide on Early Childhood Education and Sustainability
- Develop operational tools on ECE and sustainability to be used by Country Offices and Pre-primary Workforce across the LAC region for each of the following categories:
- Teachers/ECD facilitators (qualifications, competencies, training)
- Learning environment (structural and process features)
- Families and communities
- Other significant aspects/factors
- Submission of a Power Point Presentation based on the technical guide and operational tools.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
- Advanced University degree in early childhood development, education, social sciences, international development or a related field.
- Eight years of professional work experience at the national and international levels in policy planning in a related field;
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation and publication of books, journals, technical reports, papers and materials on topics related to early childhood development, international early learning standards, large-scale assessments and educational systems.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required. Knowledge of French or Portuguese will be considered an asset.
- Technical knowledge
- Expert knowledge on early learning and pre-primary education;
- Knowledge and experience in strategies to implement ECD Programs;
- Experience in the consideration of sustainability in education plans, strategies, curriculum, etc. will be an asset.
Other skills and attributes
- Flexibility and adaptability to shifting conditions and work demands;
- Capacity to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with RO and CO colleagues and external partners;
- High level of Integrity and commitment to UNICEF's mission and professional values;
- Analytical and conceptual ability, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills;
- Strong organizational, planning, and analytical skills;
- Good judgment, initiative, high sense of responsibility, tact and discretion;
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and ability to establish harmonious working relations in a multicultural environment.