Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role
- Market Develop Facility (MDF) is an Australian Government funded multi-country initiative which promotes sustainable economic development, through higher incomes for women and men, in out partner countries.
- We connect individuals, businesses, governments and NGOs with each other, and with markets at home and abroad. This enhances investment and coordination and allows partnerships to flourish, strengthening inclusive economic growth.
- MDF is funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT). It is implemented by Palladium in partnership with Swisscontact.
- In Sri Lanka, MDF's focus is on diversifying tourism with new products and services and supporting authentic Sri Lankan products which promote the country.
- MDF is seeking to hire a Tourism Research Consultant to assist Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA) in further enhancing its research capacity, including via knowledge transfer from Tourism Research Australia (TRA)
The Tourism Research Consultant will be responsible for:
- Working with the research team and the senior management of SLTDA to examine its current research framework/practices including research processes (relating to data collection, analysis and dissemination), methodology, tools (including surveys, forms etc.) and the outputs of research (reports etc.) to identify gaps which can be addressed in a short time period with available resources.
- This will draw on consultations with key private sector associations/companies (including the Tourism Alliance) and other government agencies (tourism agencies specifically) to understand how existing data published by SLTDA is being used, the types of tourism data which would be most useful and most appropriate mechanisms for data presentation and sharing, to ensure that insights are understood and acted upon by the private sector and the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau.
- Identifying areas for improvement based on this analysis and collaborating with TRA to design a scope of work to enhance research capacity and practices, as a follow up to the informal learning event with TRA in Australia in December 2019.
- Assisting SLTDA in implementing the recommendations of TRA through on-the-ground support and mentorship to the team.
- Identifying opportunities and creating arrangements for sharing tourism data and research with the Sri Lankan public and private sector where relevant.
- Assessing additional capacity building/ training needs of SLTDA in the areas of data and research, and directing these to relevant agencies that may be able to assist (MDF, DFAT, other Sri Lankan government agencies etc.
The ideal candidate (individual or organisation) should possess the following:
- The Tourism Research Consultant should have expertise in research, data collection, data analysis and/or visualization - with ideally at least 8 to 10 years of experience in tourism research, analysis and strategy-related roles.
- An understanding of new and emerging research methods in tourism will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication and people skills. The candidate should be able to work effectively with SLTDA staff and international counterparts.
- The ability to work independently and efficiently, including managing time according to tight deadlines while maintaining product quality.
- Excellent English language writing and speaking skills.