Position title : Translator
Place of performance : Tripoli, Libya, Libya
Apply by 17/05/2020
Start date 01/06/2020
Duration up to 6 months (@30days/month)
Qualification Bachelor's degree in Translation, Arts, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with 4 years of relevant professional experience.
Sector experience Minimum of 6 years of demonstrable relevant Media & Communications experience.
Geographical experience Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (essential).
Language Fluency in English and Arabic are essential.Job description
CTG Overview CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
Under the direct supervision of the Public Information Officer and under the overall supervision of COM, the incumbent will provide assistance for related activities and will ensure that cooperation with implementing partners is according to agreed action plans.
- Provide general assistance translating a wide range of materials such as press releases and/or media features, social media messages, reports and researches, documents related to the web-based platform, and any other content necessary from English to Arabic and vice-versa as required;
- Translate key external products into Arabic for increased visibility on IOM’s work among Libyan government and public
- Translate official correspondence from/to Governmental counterparts when needed;
- Assist in the preparation of IOM’s external products for periodic and timely dissemination
- Prepare and diffuse a periodic ‘news digest’ in national and international media outlets, covering IOM references, stories on
- migration, humanitarian and security news, as well as any other news of relevance to the mission in Libya.
- Assist with the production of project materials in Arabic, as required;
- Assist in liaising with counterparts in Arabic and provide ad hoc oral translation in public and closed meetings, when needed.
- Proofreading and editing IOM products previously translated into Arabic, checking for accuracy and consistency prior to release;
- Ensure design and layout of translated documents correspond to the design and layout of the original English documents and language is in line with IOM’s used terminology;Deliver finished products that are ready for immediate publishing, with a high level of attention to detail and consistency;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
This role reports to Public information Officer
Key competencies Education;
- Bachelor’s degree in Translation, Arts, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with 4 years of relevant professional experience or;
- High school degree with 6 years of relevant professional work experience.
- At least two years of professional translation experience, verbal and written;
- Excellent command of Arabic and fluency in English;
- Good translation and proofreading skills, with the ability to produce accurate, clear and stylistically appropriate translations;
- Previous working experience in a relevant field with an international organization (IOM, UN etc.) is an advantage;
- Good knowledge of MS Office applications e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook, etc;
- Knowledge of rules governing house style and presentation of documents is an advantage.
- Effective organisational skills and ability to establish priorities and plans, ability to work under pressure and cope with deadlines;
- Good written and spoken communications skills, good interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level three
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
If direct reports (10th row above) for SES is greater than zero, then the managerial competencies below are inserted.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
This role doesn't have any team management responsibility.
To be communicated further if any