Unit Head, Research Leadership and Capacity Strengthening
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Closing Date for Applications:
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Provides technical leadership, coordination and managerial support within the Department, in the Research Leadership and Capacity Strengthening Unit, ensuring that activities in this area are carried out efficiently and effectively.
- Provides vision and develops, leads, and implements research and research capacity strengthening programmes.
- Develops and proposes technical health policies and strategies for implementation through collaboration with Regional and Country Offices and HRP cosponsors and provides advice in developing further the research leadership and capacity strengthening for strengthening and improving technical capacity of target clienteles.
- Oversees a unit of scientific and technical staff specialized in various domains within their area of expertise, and facilitates the efficient flow of team synergies. - Manages the programme area in delivering its objectives through efficient managing a small team of technical staff, financial resources and effective work planning to optimize the programme's deliverables in line with the mandate of the Organization.
- Leads and conducts research on best practices in implementing programmes and activities and dissemination of information for capacity building in the respective area of work.
- Manages the monitoring and evaluation and reporting of the subject area of work of key performance indicators and reporting requirements and mechanisms to optimize performance of Programme deliverables.
- Serves as the technical reference among the peer community, UN Agencies and other stakeholders at the technical levels in research and capacity strengthening.
- Liaises with and utilizes partnerships in other UN Agencies, HRP cosponsors, donors, and research institutions in research leadership and capacity strengthening to position the technical area of work and implementation into global and/or national policies.
- Represents WHO and HRP at various meetings for research leadership and capacity strengthening.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Essential: A Ph.D. in a field related to sexual and reproductive health.
Essential: A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in research management, leadership and capacity strengthening, including experience in the area of health policies and strategies, and experience in low and middle income countries. Demonstrated experience managing human and financial resources. Demonstrated experience at the international level.
- Expert knowledge of research and research capacity strengthening. Concrete skills in the planning and coordination of multidisciplinary public health programmes, which may include the implementation of a public health/disease control programmes.
- Strong skills in the area of developing and establishing policies and strategies Excellent skills and ability in managing diverse teams and financial resources.
- Proven skills in mobilizing resources. Ability to engage and communicate effectively and diplomatically with external partners including Ministries of Health, donor institutions, Civil Society, HRP cosponsors, and other stakeholders. Proven expert knowledge in research, analytics, and research management, as evidenced by a recent (within past 5 years) track record of publication in peer-review scientific journals.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of French or other official WHO language.