Waste Management/Environmental Engineer
UNV, Goma, Congo
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
- 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
- Description of task
- Under the direct supervision of the Chief Engineer (CE) the duties of the Waste Management/Environmental Engineer will include but are not limited to the following:
- Implements the Environmental Guidelines and Policies in the mission;
- Supports the implementation of the Environmental Guidelines and Mission Waste Management Plan by providing technical support to field locations on request in the areas of waste management in particular;
- Prepares consolidated reports on environmental actions of all mission locations, sites and identifies problem areas to be addressed by the relevant Sections and Units within the mission.
- Reviews statements of work, contracts and services for engineering projects related to the disposal of solid waste in accordance with international, local and mission environmental standards;
- Formulates and evaluates waste procedures and projects for accuracy, soundness, feasibility and cost;
- Develops conceptual designs, feasibility studies and multi-year plans of waste management systems to be implemented in field locations;
- Prepares an environmental action plan, guidance materials and instructions aimed at achieving environmental objectives.
- Assesses existing waste management infrastructure in mission (including, but not limited to, local infrastructure) and proposes innovative technical solutions to reduce waste-related risks;
- Supports the development of training activities aimed at building mission capacity to meet mission environmental objectives;
- Keeps up to date on environmental developments.
- Any other duties as requested by the supervisor.
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level:
Master degree or equivalent Education - Additional Comments:
- Advanced University Degree (Master's or equivalent) in Civil Engineering, Environmental Specialist, Architectural, or other relevant discipline.
- An additional 2 years of relevant work experience in combination with a relevant first university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) may substitute for the requirement for a Master’s degree.
60 Months Experience remark:
- At least 5 years implementing similar projects related to environment and waste management.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- Area of expertise: Other energy, environment and climate change related experience Area of expertise details:
- Good understanding of the environmental and waste management issues related to construction projects including water and sanitation and electrical projects.
- Knowledge of architectural, engineering and construction principles and practices as well as international environmental codes, standards and guidelines applicable to the construction industry.
- Experience in monitoring, reporting, development, and coordination in either public or private sector organizations is an asset.
- Experience in the East and Central Africa Region is desirable.
- MS Project, Office package (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook).
- Fluency in English mandatory.
- Knowledge of French optional (non- mandatory).