CIMMYT, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Assess prospects and potential for wheat production in Africa, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa beyond Ethiopia and South Africa, with a focus on smallholders’ potential to produce wheat as a cash crop to meet the growing wheat demand and substitute imports.
- Assess wheat value chain and marketing issues in Africa and Asia, and matching the supply with the increasing demand for both quantity and quality by the food industry.
- Build an exciting strategic research-for-development portfolio around wheat in Africa and Asia, including targeting options and tools; technological and institutional innovations; business models and development strategies; empirical evidence particularly in relation to adoption and impact; practical recommendations and rigorous documentation.
- Strengthen socioeconomics research on wheat in Africa and Asia through networking, coordination, capacity building and resource mobilization.
- Publish findings in international peer reviewed journals.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- PhD in agricultural economics, development economics, or a related field from a recognized institution.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in applied agricultural research-for-development in developing countries, preferably with experience in Africa and Asia
- Experience in leading research teams.
- Good partnership skills, including ability to moderate meetings with partners.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- A high degree of personal organization and the ability to multi-task and work under pressure, as well as travel extensively.
- Ability to work with different nationalities, disciplines and educational levels, as a member of a diverse work team.
- Established publication record in international peer reviewed journals.
- The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 3 years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
- CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
- To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Please indicate Position Reference number: 12342 in the header of your email). In your application, please specify where you saw this position.
- The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
- For further information on the selection process, please contact Esther Mendoza, at email@example.com
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.