Duties and Responsibilities
The International Seabed Authority (ISA) is an international organization established under the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and the 1994 Agreement relating to the Implementation of Part XI of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. The Authority is the organization through which States Parties to the Convention shall, in accordance with the regime for the seabed and ocean floor and subsoil thereof beyond the limits of national jurisdiction (the Area) established in Part XI and the Agreement organize and control activities in the Area, particularly with a view to administering the resources of the Area.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Communications Unit within the Executive Office of the Secretary-General at the Headquarters of the International Seabed Authority (ISA) located in Kingston, Jamaica. The Graphic and Multimedia Designer reports to the Communications Specialist.
Within limits of delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Review and upgrade the brand and visual guidelines of the organization to help promote the vision and mandate of ISA through high-quality, consistent graphic content.
- Review the use of ISA brand and visual guidelines across the organization’s programmes and projects. Explore and present conceptual ideas for a cohesive, coherent and creative branding of all programmes and projects. Make recommendations and take action to improve general consistency.
- Create and develop templates for publication series and other print and digital materials; create and develop high-impact branded products including publications, presentations, posters, banners, illustrations, infographics, data visualizations, etc.; create branded visual and graphics for use on social media platforms. Ensure branded products are consistent and compliant across website, social media, other digital media, and physical assets.
- Ensure effective integration of graphics and design elements in the broader conceptualization and planning of communication interventions. Bring state of the art practices, techniques, technologies and approaches to bear on the organizations graphic design work.
- Review and proofread designs to ensure that copy, layout, and dimensions are print-ready; oversee the printing process; ensure dimensions and technical specifications are suitable for printing.
- Contribute to conceptualizing multimedia materials; conceptualize, design and execute, exceptional 2D or 3D graphics and motion assets for use in multimedia products; record, edit, and encode audio files.
- Contribute to the formulation of policies, protocols and procedures to streamline graphic design production. Develop and manage high quality roster of, and arrangements with, individual and service providers for all aspects of graphic design production to deliver excellent graphic design products on a turnkey basis. Coordinate the work of graphic design contractors and provide them with guidance and feedback throughout the design and production process to ensure accurate and consistent execution of designs.
- Collect, file and edit photos and videos; ensure adequate crediting of external resources; coordinate a graphics or photographic library and maintain digital records. Create and maintain files for all creative assets and resources, such as software, art materials, and special fonts, which are needed for record keeping and referencing.
- Perform other duties as prescribed by supervisor.
- Technological Awareness
- Advanced experience in graphic/multimedia design, fine arts or related area is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Qualifications and Expertise
The successful consultant is required to meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in brand and graphic design is required.
- Experience working with the Adobe Creative Cloud is required
- Experience in conceptualizing, designing and implementing brand and visual identities for international organizations is desired
- Excellent design sense and awareness of current design trends
- Understands the importance of brand and can work within established standards
- Portfolio or work samples showing a clean, contemporary aesthetic
- Ability to work under pressure
- English and French are the working knowledge of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.